[40] You took my heart, could I please have it back?

Chapter 40

.:Recap:.

Why did I let myself fall for him? I should have known he would return to his bipolarity. I should have known it would only hurt me. But I couldn't turn back now; it was too late. My mind was completely and utterly infatuated with him.

I just wanted to ask him to stop being so bipolar, to just be my friend, if nothing else. But that was about as hopeful as asking him, "You took my heart, could I please have it back?"

.:Story Start:.

Now that I had fallen in love with James I couldn’t get him off my mind. It was ten, twenty, a hundred times worse than before; I found myself craving to even see him just one more time. When I was around him I couldn't look away, when I wasn't around him, I felt almost hollow.

I honestly hated being in love. It took over every rational thought and your whole body; it corrupted your mind and made you do inexplicable things. It made you feel strong, and yet vulnerable. It was impossible to run away from, no matter how much I may try to force myself to hate him.

"Elizabeth Johnson!" I jerked upright as my teacher called my name. "Care to tell us the answer?"

"Uh…"

The teacher glowered and moved on, and I continued to daydream about James, as unwilling as I was.

The day passed sickeningly slowly. I was always aware of James when he was near; whenever Nicola wasn't around I would gape at him like a fish, whenever she was I would refrain from punching her face in.

But finally the end of the day came, and, relieved, I stepped out of the school. I fell into step with Lily and we started to walk home, chatting about random things. She came over to my house and we went up to my room.

We helped each other with homework for a while before Lily said cheerfully,

"It's your birthday tomorrow!" I rolled my eyes.

"I know," I replied. "I do know when my own birthday is,"

"You didn't the last time I reminded you…"

"Whatever," I said, waving my hand at her, and she poked her tongue out.

"Anyway, I got you a present!" I arched an eyebrow.

"Really? What is it?"

"You'll find out tomorrow," she said, tapping her nose. "When we-" she caught herself and zipped her lips, looking horrified.

"When we what?"

"Don't worry…"

"Lily,"

"It doesn't matter!" she exclaimed, and I looked at her suspiciously, but I could tell she wasn't going to spill the beans any more.

After a few more hours of mucking around at my house, Lily finally went home and I pondered upon her words. What would we be doing tomorrow? What had she planned for my birthday? I was getting worried.

When I went downstairs to see what was for dinner, I saw that nothing was cooking. I frowned and looked at dad, who just smiled at me mischievously.

"Early birthday treat," he said. "I'm taking you to McDonalds, as I have been told you haven't been in a while…"

At this, I smiled brightly. Any other teen would think eh, McDonalds, but the last time I went I was about six. It wasn't much of a treat - just a happy meal with my dad. Excuse the pun. It didn't need to be a treat, I was just happy with him again.