Light and Darkness

I thought I knew the light. I thought I knew to stay away from darkness. I never meant to cross the line, I just wanted to see how far I could go.

"A little closer." The voices taunted. "Just a little closer. No one will notice. It's safe. It's fun."

But as soon as I got close enough, the monster pulled me over the line. I was gone in sin. I was attempting to fill a void that only God could fill.

The line was the beginning, and the dark maze-like tunnel, which I stumbled through for years, was my journey.

••••••••••••••••

I walked for years, ignoring the one who could save me. I wanted to do it my way. My pride got in the way of my senses. I tripped over rocks. I stumbled over my own feet. I tried to use the wall to help guide me, but my hands were slashed by the jagged edges. The darkness never ended.

A candle hung on the top of the wall, way out of reach. I never wanted it. I thought I never needed it. The light causes shadows. The light could burn out at any second. Why should I trust something that's so uncertain?

I made my decision, I walked away from the light once more.

I tripped, stumbled, and fell.

The whispers never ceased.
"You'll never get out of here."
"You're not good enough."
"You're too ugly for anyone to love you."
"No one wants you."
"No one will ever forgive you."
"Do it again. It will give you comfort... No one is watching. God will forgive you. It will be fun."

I gave in. And the darkness only grew deeper and more treacherous. My feet bled, my hands and arms ached, and my heart was filled with nothing. I was blind. I could not find my way.

I then came to the candle again. It's light looked welcoming and warm. But it still had an uncertainty to it. Why should I trust something that's so uncertain? ...But then again, what do I have to lose?

I gazed up at the candle, it was out of reach. I couldn't grasp it.

"You can't do it." The demons sneered, "he'll never except you back. You're too far gone in your own sin."
"Give up."
"Hurt yourself."
"That's the only way to escape."

I ignored their haunting voices. I dashed to the wall and climbed for my life. The dark shadows screeched; they wouldn't give up without a fight. They snatched my legs, they gripped my shoulders, desperately trying to pull me down to rock bottom.

Their needle-like nails dug into my skin, their eerie shrieks echoed in the tunnel.

I kicked and screamed, "Leave me be!"

They continued to pry me loose as I stretched out for the light. Their strength overcame me. The demons ripped me from the wall, and I came crashing down. My arms and legs were shredded and bruised, but I still struggled to break free from the demons. My demons.

They surrounded me, taunted me, and spit at me.

"You're worthless!!"
"You're a nobody!"
"He will never want you back!!"
"You betrayed him!"
"Hurt yourself!"

I felt as if I was going insane. I wanted to shout out. I wanted to escape.

"God help me!!!!" I cried out.

The demons went suddenly silent.

Realizing their silence, I shot up and dashed for the wall. I scaled up it and snatched the candle. The flame flickered with life. I was transfixed.

The demons started to advance on me again. But this time I had a weapon. Planting my feet firmly, I shouted out;
"I have the light of Jesus Christ, and you cannot touch me!!"

The demons screeched and wailed, sounding as if they were being ripped apart. Then they suddenly vanished, as if they were never there.

I looked around—shadows were cast along the walls but they did not touch me. For I had the light, and I felt excepted. I felt wanted. I was forgiven. I was protected.

••••••••••••••

I continue to walk in the dark tunnel, which is what we know as life, but I will not walk in fear, for Jesus has given me the light of life.

Even though I stumble and fall, the light will never die.

I am forgiven.

I am wanted.

I am loved.

I am excepted.

"I am the Light of the world, he who fallows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life." - John 8:12