Chapter Twenty Four - Alena's P.O.V

(Two weeks later; Thursday around 9:30 PM)

        Tyler, Josh, Liz and I were all in my car, driving home from the senior awards. Liz and Josh had both gotten awards and scholarships from the music association, Tyler had gotten an award from the english department and a small scholarship from the athletics department for him being on the basketball team, and I had received an award called the "Centennial Peace Prize" which is like the Nobel Peace Prize but for our class, and I had gotten a scholarship from the school.

        We were going back to my house to hang out for a bit, but I assumed that everyone would leave before the end of the night considering that graduation was in fact tomorrow.

        Once we had finally gotten to my place, we all went upstairs to get snacks and drinks then headed back down to the basement. We had put in some random movie, but no one was really paying attention to it. "I can't believe that we graduate tomorrow." I breathed out. After the years and years of imagining what it would be like, it was hard to grasp that the day had come.

        "Are you ready to make your speech?" Josh asked me. As Class President, I was responsible for making a speech and basically running the entire ceremony.

        "I've had it written since the beginning of May." I told him. It was true, ever since hearing that I had been reelected class president for senior year (I had been it all through high school, now) I had started thinking of what it was I wanted to say at the podium.

        "I'm sure it'll be great, there's no one else that could put all of this together the way that you have." Liz said smiling to me, trying to assure me that I would be fine going up and running the ceremony.

        "Thank you Liz." I smiled back at her. She was leaning against Josh, who had his arm around her, similarly to how Tyler and I were sitting. "I'm going to run up and grab some more chips," Josh had already licked a whole bag of Doritos clean, "Liz, would you mind helping me?"

        "Not at all!" She got up from the couch, leaving Josh, and I did the same, both of us jogging up the stairs to the kitchen.

        "Okay, what's actually going on with you and Josh? You guys have been hanging out a lot more since prom, and him having his arm around you?"

        "I don't really know, we've been talking a lot more and he's been taking me out on the weekends and stuff," She started saying, reaching up to the cabinet to grab a bag of tortilla chips. "And he sort of kissed me last night." She said at last, turning to face me.

        "Seriously!? Why didn't you tell me? What was it like?" I didn't mean to bombard her with questions, but she hadn't been keeping me updated, like she ideally would have.

         "It was weird at first, I wasn't expecting it at all, but after a few seconds I went along with it and it was just, perfect." I couldn't help but let out an "awww" sound at her smile.

        "So what are you guys? Is it official now?" I asked. She's leaving for the New England Conservatory of Music in Boston in the fall, and Josh was going to the Cleveland Institute of Music around the same time, so I didn't know how they were planning on working it.

         "Well, we haven't made anything official. It's just hard because we're both going to be in different cities once fall rolls around, and I don't know if I can handle having a long distance relationship. And as horrible as it sounds, I don't know if I want to be tied down to home. I want to go to Boston and do bigger things and meet new people, I'm trying to leave this place behind for a while. But I don't want to leave Josh behind." She paused and looked at the floor. "I just don't know what to do."