Chapter 31

Grim looked at his reflection in the sink mirror. The more he stared at the stranger in the glass the less he recognized himself. The stark crisp blue of his eyes had faded to almost black with viens of green creeping through like a disease. Dozens of scars of every kind marred his almost ashen skin which only brought more attention to his demonic prosthetics. The muscles lacing his body felt unnatural to the once thin and lanky body he had days before.

"What have I become?"

"Isn't it obvious." An illusion of his old self mocked. "You became the monster you always wanted to be."

"I didn't want to this, I had to do this..."

"Right, you did all of this because you had to." The illusion leaned against the frosted glass of the shower. "Not for revenge, not to finally feel like you matter, just because someone had to. I think we both know that's a lie."

"Of course it is." Said another illusion, this time himself before he committed suicide. "All we ever do is lie to ourself. How else can we live with the pathetic waste we've always been?"

"Someone had to stop Skyra." Grim said.

"Why was it us though?" The first illusion questioned. "We both know Death had dozens of Reapers around the world who could get the job done. But no, you jumped at the chance to throw away our humanity."

"This is nothing new." The second illusion said to the first. "Remember, you used to be me."

"What do think Kel would say if she could see us now?" The first illusion teased.

"I think she'd be horrified, I mean we do look like a monster." The second one said laughing as they faded away.

"I can't believe I'm arguing with myself."  Grim turned off the water and shook the thought from his head.

In the other room Nadia was waiting for Grim. She was antsy and needed something to occupy herself until her and Grim left. Selena walked in the room pulling her duster on.

"You ready for this?" she asked.

"No, but we have to be." Grim said walking out of his room.

"What's the plan?" Selena asked.

"First we got to get everyone away from here, I don't know how far Skyra's influence will reach once she's in our world."

"I'll scout around the city." Selena said. "Your faster than me so you should go warn the soldiers."

"Let's go." Grim said to Nadia. She transformed into a long metallic rectangle across his back and he blurred out into the streets. He used his new ability from the twins and his speed doubled as his strength diminished. A stone demon stepped into his path and he reversed the ability. He dropped to a normal human sprint and crumbled the creature with a single punch.

"That is pretty useful." Nadia said as he sped back up.

"I figured we should at least test it before fighting the queen bitch." Grim shot at the barricade bullet and launching himself over it, making a rather dramatic entrance. The soldiers closest to him immediately raised their guns. "Whoa guys, same side."

"You must be the asset General Wheeler spoke of." A man said as he strode out of the command tent.

"I need to speak with the General, it is rather urgent."

"The General has been relieved of command, I am in charge now."

"You need to get these men out of here, a force like you have never seen is coming and you are all in danger."

"We are aware of the danger and we have our own way of dealing with this problem." A woman stood next to the mystery man.

"Ryan, what the hell are you doing here?" Grim questioned.

"I'm helping General Holt capture Skyra so she can be used as a weapon."

"Yes, Mrs. Velda has been rather helpful to me and my men."

"You'll want to capture him, he's the only vessel strong enough to contain her at the moment." Ryan said pointing at Grim.

"You rotten bitch." He snarled as the soldiers closed in.  One grabbed Grim's arm to handcuff him and the ground shook. Even Grim was knocked to the ground as the earth itself was torn away. The tallest buildings in the city crumbled as a hellish glow erupted from inside the city. Everything was destroyed as lavender crystals ripped free of the ground. They shot up destroying large segments of the barricade and killing several soldiers. Deep in the city a black crystal castle slowly rose from the destruction around it. Grim used the distraction to launch himself over the wall and ran back towards the city. A few bullets struck the ground at his feet but he made it to the city rubble without being hit.

"Selena can you hear me." He said putting a finger to his Bluetooth.

"Yeah, I can hear you." she said coughing.

"Are you alright?" He asked as he started to weave through rubble.

"No, one of those damn crystals splintered and  a fragment hit me."

"Where are you, we'll come and..."

"No! You are not coming to get me. It pierced my guts Grim, even if you found me and stitched me up I'm going to die from infection. I'll try to lure most of the demons away from the castle..." She stopped and started wretching. "but you...you have to finish this. Finish this for Elizabeth, for James, and for me." The line clicked dead and Grim stood trying to compose himself. Across the city Selena lay in a pile of rubble. The crystal shard in her body leaked energy and even as she bled out she could feel it giving her strength. She pulled out a flare gun and raised it above her head.

"Come and get me you bastards." She fired the flare and forced herself to her feet. Every step was agonizing as she dragged herself towards the school. On the football field where it all began she turned to face the army of demons rapidly descending on her. As the first reared it's head she drew her guns and opened fire.

"Are we really going to leave her?" Nadia asked as they watched the flare fall form the sky.

"We have to. She's giving us a clear shot at Skyra and we can't let it slip by. We'll finish this for her and everyone else Skyra has hurt." Grim turned to the castle and ran harder than he ever had before.

/Hey everybody! Normally this bit is bolded but I'm still trying to get the hang of writing on a laptop so bear with me. The finale had begun and I can't wait to see what you guys think so make sure you leave those comments.