19. Les Miserables

Start from the beginning

She's heard of the classic, but had only seen the musical. 

"Da one 'bout da French guy who stole bread?" Kit asked.

"Yeah." he replied. His wore a shocked expression that she had heard of it.

Kit then realized that it was suspicious of her to have head about Les Mis, so she quickly changed the subject.

"Wow, dat book is ginormous." she commented. She was effective in steering his attention on her.

"Yeah it's quite long, but it's so captivating. Hugo's writing brings me across the ocean. I just got bought the book a 3 days ago, and I haven't been able to put it down." David said with a gleam in his eye, gesturing to his spot in the book that was at least 3/4 of the way in.

"Wow, you're far innit already." Kit said in shock. "I'se hoird o' it an' it seemed real interestin', but I'se never gottin' 'round tah readin' it 'cuz it's like one o' da longest books written."

"You should read it. How about after I finish reading, I can lend it to you?" David said enthusiastically, like he couldn't wait to share this masterpiece with someone else.  She noticed the passion in his voice and she could tell how much he enjoyed the work.

Kit felt honored that he wanted to share with her something he found so special.

"Dat would be great." she replied and couldn't help the smile that formed on her lips.

"I'll let you know when I finish."

"Kids! Call up your dad! It's time for dinner!" Mrs. Jacobs called out from the kitchen.

Sarah went to grab Mr. Jacobs, who had retired to the master bedroom to rest, and the boys began to set up the table. Mrs. Jacobs set the delicious smelling meal on the table, and Kit could feel her mouth water. The home cooked meals and eating dinner with the Jacob's family made Kit feel a certain warmness flow in her. It was a nice break from the hustle and bustle and chaos of the newsies, and it was almost like a different world. The Jacobs treated her so kindly when they had no obligation to her, and Kit was grateful for them.

After dinner, Kit wanted to head back to the lodging house, but she could tell that Jack wanted to stay a little longer. It's not like she wasn't having a great time at the Jacobs household, she just wanted to go back. She hated to admit it, but she wanted to hang out with Blink, especially after their date in Central Park the night before.

Kit didn't want to be the clingy type, but she also hadn't seem Blink since the morning because Jack wanted his "Kitty Time" today and Race was bombarding her with questions about the future. There was no way that Kit would let Blink find out. That would change everything between them. She believed that he wouldn't want to be with her if he found out that she was some weird chick from the future, or if he thought she had a few screws loose up there. Either way, Kit concluded that him finding out that she was from the year 2018 would not end well. 

Once they all finished eating, Kit pulled Jack to the side.

"Hey Jack, I know you'se wanna stay longah, but I'm goin' tah start headin' back ta dah lodgin' 'ouse."  

"No, it's fine. I'll go wit ya." Cowboy began, getting up from his seat.

"No, no, no. Stay." Kit argued.

She didn't want him to leave because of her, and she felt a bit like a burden to him. He seemed so at ease in the Jacobs household, and she didn't want to be the one who ruined that. After Jack confided in her about Little Lucy, Kit felt that he needed his time with the Jacob's.

"I'se don't want ya tah walk back by youse'self." he explained.

"I'll be ok. I prahmise."

"A prahmise ain't enough. I'se swore ta keep ya safe."