Chapter 2

"What are you doing out here?"

I looked at my feet. I just met this guy and he was already asking about me. But then again, I can see why. I was a teenager cying in the woods in the middle of the night. I guess it did seem a bit odd. I started to remember why I was here, cold and alone, why I had run away...

The front door slammed and I heard heavy footsteps downstairs. Father was home, but he wasn't coming back at the best time. It was almost 1:00 am. Suddenly shouting errupted from the living room, echoing all throughout the house. Mother was furious. I pressed myself as close as I could to my bed, listening.

"What's gottn into you? You've been coming home late from work everyday for the past two weeks and the poor boy wonders what happened to you! Your setting a bad example and your not being much of a father!" As she yelled at him, I felt bad. I hate lying to Mother. I hate not telling her, but if she found out, Father would know that it was me who told her. Then he'd come after me... maybe hurt me...

Father was having an afair. I'd seen him and a beautiful woman downstairs, being all affectionate and calling each other by nicknames. I was sneaking around when my mother was at work in the morning, and Father thought I was still in bed. I saw them kissing, and knew I had seen something I shouldn't have witnessed.

It was all fine and dandy until I tried to sneak away, and stepped on a creaky floor board. That was the day father told me to keep my mouth shut. He told me if I said one word, bad things would happen to me and mother. So I kept quiet. I haven't said a word... but maybe I should have. Maybe that day I should have waited for mother to come home and told her, told her everything, but now... now she was finding out for herself.

I didn't move, careful not to so that the bed wouldn't squeak, so that I could hear mother and father clearly.

"Where have you been all this time anyway? And don't tell me work! I'm not stupid as you think. I called the office and they said you weren't there!" Oh no. Mother, no... Father told her never to call the office. Ever. He feels it was a way of showing that she didn't trust him, but I knew that was a lie. He always lies to Mother's face. I also knew that this made my father just as angry as my mother, and it showed as he began to yell back, getting his part in the accusations.

"You don't trust me! If you did you would be a good wife and not bother me! I was at the office, and whether you believe it or not that's my story and I'm sticking to it! You know, for a person who says they love me I should hear at least one word from your mouth that isn't an insult!" Lies. So many lies to her face, and yet he made her so upset while yelling at her, taking on his role as the man of the house. And one lesson he taught me the hard way?

The man is always right, and I will never be that man.

He also told me that life is unfair, and that the outside is dangerous. These are some of the only things mother agrees with father on. That's why I can never leave without permission. That's why I've never been outside the 8ft wall that surrounds our house, our yard, everything. I've been home schooled and I have no friends. This room is my favorite place in the world, this house my safe haven. Safe from all dangers... dangers that weren't my father, that is. My over-protective parents think that I'm happy here, but they're so, so wrong...

I got out of bed as quietly as I could and went to my window. From here, I could see the entire back yard, garden and all. With my parents practically being rich, I had the best of all things. Or the things they thought were good for me anyways. I sighed and looked out to the tall wall that gaurded the house, that gaurded me from the outside world. Pieces of the argument downstairs started coming to me, letting me know what my parents were talking about once more.