Chapter 26

|Taylor Hale|

-
"I bet he probably left out the part where he was sitting in the car, calling for backup while my dad was going in alone. Did he tell you that he was too scared? Too much of a frightened little bitch to go after him or do scared little bitches not tell their little bitch sons about their failures?" Donovan nearly yelled to Stiles.

"Only bitch in here is you, Donovan!" I smirked slightly.

Donovan smirked at me before reaching in between a bookshelf and pulling Stiles through it. I let out a huge growl and shoved Donovan into another bookshelf.

"Stiles, get the hell out of he-," I was cut off by Donovan's hand gripping my throat.

I felt something biting into my neck. I pushed him away. He had a mouth on his hand with little sharp teeth. Donovan shoved me into the ladder than Stiles was on, making Stiles almost fall.

"Taylor, look out." Stiles yelled, pulling out a screw, making a bunch of poles fall.

I watched as one of the poles that fell went straight through Donovan's chest. He coughed up blood. Stiles climbed off the ladder and attempted to pull the pole out. Donovan growled before releasing his last breath. Stiles' heart started racing. He dialed 911 from the phone in the library but didn't say anything when they picked up. Stiles' phone started ringing from Donovan's pocket. I grabbed it and held the screen up to show him that Malia was calling. He shook his head and walked outside. By the time, I got there. His jeep was fixed and he was inside. I hopped into the passenger seat as the cops pulled up.

When the officer left out of the school, I listened to the conversation.

"Dispatch, I'm 10-97 and there's no one here. It's a 653." The officer reported.

"Roger that, prank call. Return to your patrol." I heard the lady on the other side of the radio say.

I glared at the truck, "Where'd Donovan go?"

"I don't know but let's find out." Stiles mumbled before we left to go back to the library.

The officer was right. There's no one in here. Donovan's body is gone.

-
-
-

"The Dread Doctors by T.R. McCammon." I read out loud.

"Has anyone read it yet?" Lydia asked when I passed the book to her.

"Just me and I didn't understand any of it." Malia admitted.

"We should all read it."

"Kira's working on that. She's making copies in the library."

Lydia turned the book around and read the description, "In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive. Days later they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of para-scientists known only as the Dread Doctors. Sounds vaguely familiar. How does it end?"

Malia shrugged, "It doesn't. This is supposed to be volume one."

I crossed my arms, "Let me guess, there is no volume two."

"I think we're living volume two."

"Then, the real question is: Is this a novel or someone's prediction?" Lydia whispered.

-
-
-

I sat down at an empty table with my copy of the Dread Doctors book. The rest of the pack went to see Dr. Valack at Eichen House. I took out a highlighter and began reading. I heard someone sit down across from me.

"Page turner?" I looked up to see Theo sitting across from me.

I smiled, "I've read better."

He lifted his Pre-Calculus book, "Same with this."

When he looked down, I studied his face. Puberty hit this dude like a truck. I looked down at the book and continued to read. About two hours later, I had finished reading it. I packed up my stuff and slipped on my bag.

"You need a ride?" Theo asked.

I shook my head, "I can take the bus."

My motorcycle wasn't an option. It needed a whole new engine and I barely knew how to drive a car.

"Last bus left an hour ago."

"I'll walk."

"I saw your motorcycle at the repair shop the other day."

I raised an eyebrow, "How'd you know that it was mine?"

Theo smirked, "The design on the side was a wolf with blue eyes with your name under it. Have you ever even driven a real car before?"

"A few times."

"Sounds like you can use some practice." Theo threw his car keys to me.

-
-
-

Theo chuckled, "We can go a little faster... if you want."

"I'm doing the speed limit."

"No one does the speed limit. You also don't have to hold the wheel like that."

Theo leaned over and grabbed my hand before repositioning it at the bottom of the wheel, "Better?"

I nodded and gently pressed harder on the gas. I flinched when I heard an arrow whistle.

Theo must've noticed, "You okay?"

"You didn't hear that? An arrow?"

Theo shook his head, "No."

I stopped the car and got out, looking around. Flashbacks of the fire went through my mind. There was a coyote outside the house as it was burning. It howled before running off.

"Taylor!" Theo yelled, before pulling me out of the way of being hit by a car.

"She was there. Why the hell was she there?!" I whispered.

"What? Who?" Theo asked.

I looked up at him, "The Desert Wolf."

-
NOT EDITED SORRY