Homochromea pt. 2

Homochromea pt. 2

Maya lied on her bed while reading a book, her head was resting in her brunette girlfriend's lap as the brunette also read and ran her fingers through Maya's blonde hair. The two women sat in a comfortable silence as they read, every once in a while Riley stopped reading for a second to ask what a certain word or phrase meant and have Maya tell her. Maya flipped a page in her book and moved her glasses up so she could see better, the blonde was reading To Kill A Mocking Bird over again and Riley had picked up a random leather bound book that Maya had in her small collection of books. The blonde looked up to see the title and didn't see it on their, confused she closed her book after putting in a book mark, she didn't own any books old enough to be an original copy so she sat up and tried to sneak a peak at it was.

"Can you read this to me?" Riley asked as she cuddled up to the blonde and handed her the book, Maya looked at it horrified. It was her own personal book of poems she had written. The blonde swallowed hard as she nodded and read over the page briefly before holding in a deep breath.

"In my kindergarten art class,
sunlight dripped through fingerpaint-covered windows." Maya said and bit her lip tight as she looked over at Riley a bit scared.
"I learnt the primaries: red, blue, yellow. I could make the whole rainbow out of three colours." She said breathing in and out trying to be calm.

"I was older when I started telling myself that I only looked at the female anatomical models for reference. I had so much experience dressing quickly and keeping my eyes on the ground in the locker room, but this girl made me understand why they say
"pretty as a painting". " The blonde said feeling tears roll down her cheeks and smiled softly as Riley got up and sat on her lap to face her. The brunette kissed her tears away but insisted she continue to read the poem.

"You can't touch museum art." She said letting out a soft cry as Riley nodded and wiped her tears away with a small smile on her face, the blonde set the book down, she had the poem memorized because she had written it about Riley.

"We have the same lotion. It smells better on her, it makes me think of cookies and old Paris cafés where the great painters had lunch. The colour palette I bring from home is so dark, but she makes me lean towards romantiscism." She said and slammed her eyes shut, she began to feel everything she felt when writing this, pain, anger, love, sadness, absolute joy..

"I can't draw a straight line anymore but it's okay; her hair is naturally curly." She said and opened her teary eyes to see Riley crying softly and the blonde played with the soft brunette curly hair.

"A boy called her weird yesterday, and I wanted to tell her that I have spent hours practicing shading to recreate the light in her eyes, but that would make it obvious I'd been staring." Maya said and kissed the spot on Riley's nose that was right between her eyes.

"You're not supposed to look at your friends like that." She said and stared into the red and blue eyes she had fallen in love with.

"Our teacher says the colourmaker Diesbach tried to make a perfect red and created ultramarine. In a time when ultramarine paint was worth more than gold he added animal blood to his flask and out burst blue, worth more than gold! I wanted vermilion like Romeo, ruby as sunset, flash lipstick, scarlet forget-me-not kisses, I would give blood to my brush for her to blush at me in that shade I would take cobalt as a new sky, azure as cornflower, schoolgirl skirt navy hiding held hands or even yellow sunflower petals. Dutch painters whispering "she loves me... she loves me... she loves me..."" She said and smiled softly, shortly afterwards Riley repeated what she said.

"She does love you, she does love you, she does love you." Riley said and kissed Maya lovingly as she wiped her own tears away.

"Our teacher didn't tell us that the creation of prussian blue led to the isolation of cyanide. I can't breathe without breathing in the poison, it's apple seeds and seeping through junior-high gym floorboards when you watch your best friend dance with boys who will never be you!
I always liked friendship bracelets more than promise rings. My middle-school diaries are filled with girls, like a pick-pocket sketching the Hope Diamond. I'd be lining my coat with stolen glances. I don't have a partner in crime to keep me warm." Maya said and held Riley's hand tightly as she cried softly and smiled up at the brunette who was nodding as if to say she did now.

"I know the signs. The teacher's assistant, a nice junior who comes to school with cherry eyes every time her lab partner gets a new boyfriend. Throw over your men! My history professor and her roommate of 15 years." Maya said half angrily half sadly.

"I say someone in another time will remember us." She said and kissed Riley's hand lovingly.

"I want to be five years old mixing all the colours until i get the drark brown of her Monet shoulder freckles, and you give a Valentine to everyone in class." Maya said, her eyes bright red as she looked at the brunette biting her lip softly.

"Did you write that?" Riley asked and wiped her face clean and Maya nodded. "That was beautiful." Riley said and hugged Maya tightly.

"Wait did you just say you loved me?" Maya asked with a wide smile, Riley nodded and kissed Maya happily before being pulled down to the bed and she let out a soft laugh.

"I love you too."

{ Poem in this chapter is actually written by Rhiannon McGavin, its called Art Class, I feel like it applied to this version of Rilaya though so yeah!}