Chapter Six: Time Heals All Wounds

"Put me down!" I screamed.

"Sorry, can't. Clock's ticking."

***

I must have fallen asleep in Grayson's arms. When I woke up, I was lying on the grass in my front lawn, Grayson next to me. It was dark now; the sun had set, and a full moon was out, lighting up the night sky.

He was looking up at the stars. "Good morning, sunshine," he joked.

"Oh my god," I said, embarrassed. I jolted upright. I noticed my car had returned. Hazel must have dropped it off and left. How long was I sleeping?

"I would've tucked you into bed and all that cute stuff but I thought I would leave that to Damian," he said, sitting up next to me. "Plus, I haven't had a proper invitation inside, and I don't think your parents would've reacted very well to some random guy showing up at their door with their sleeping daughter in his arms."

"Thanks," I muttered under my breath while standing up.

"You're welcome."

"Is Damian alright?" I asked, remembering Colton's attack on the Montgomery house.

"He got impaled by a few wooden steaks," Grayson said. My heart dropped. "But luckily, none of them went through the heart."

"Oh, thank God," I said, exhaling a breath of relief.

"Well, that was a nice chat," he said, standing up. "Always nice to see you, Gwen," he smirked and disappeared.

***

Today is finally Friday. The last day of the working school week, and the day before the weekend. When I arrived at school, my friends rushed to meet me at my car.

"Gwen!" Kiera embraced me in a tight hug. "Are you alright? Why weren't you at school yesterday?" she asked.

"Yeah, we were so worried about you," Jillian added.

"Sorry, I actually did come to school, but my mom fainted at home and my dad took her to the hospital," I explained.

"Oh my god, is she alright?" Quinn asked, concerned.

"Yeah, she's fine. She's resting at home now. They think it was just dehydration. Thanks guys," I said, pulling them into a group hug.

"Oh, and Damian was looking for you," Kiera eyed me. "Do you two have... a thing... or something?"

I looked to the doors and saw Damian leaning against the wall. When our eyes met, he gave a small smile. He could hear our conversation.

I couldn't help but smile myself. I bit my lip, trying to restrain the smile that was growing inside of me. "No, we don't. Look, guys, I don't think it's safe to talk here, you never know who could be listening," I said, looking at Damian.

His lips grew into an even bigger smile.

"What are you talking about? There's no one around usーnot even close to us." Quinn said.

"Well, maybe some people just have superhuman hearing," I said.

The three of them stared at me like I had grown another pair of eyes. "Yeah, I don't think so," Kiera said.

I laughed. "Um, hey, guys, I'm gonnaー" I signaled toward Damian.

"Alright, see you later," they called as they walked away. 

I walked over to Damian, who was pretty much grinning from ear to ear by now.

"So, what do you think? Do you think there are some people who have superhuman hearing? Or do you think I'm crazy for believing that?" I joked.