Chapter Two: You Need to Trust Me

I willed my body to scream at the top of my lungs, unsure of what he was, what was happening, and what he was going to do to me.

But no sound came out. My voice no longer worked.

Suddenly, something whizzed past me, and pried my attacker off of me. It stopped no more than ten feet away, as it pinned my attacker down with anger.

Then I realized it wasn't just a thing. It was a person. A male person.

"What do you think you're doing Grayson?" he hissed angrily at the guy beneath him.

"What does it look like I'm doing, little brother? Why are you stopping me?" my attacker, Grayson, said calmly, with a smirk on his face.

"Not here. Do it somewhere else," the other guy said coldly.

"And why would I do that? You know she's the chosen--"

"Grayson!" he warned.

"Fine," Grayson reluctantly complied.

They both stood up. Grayson smirked at me, his green eyes no longer flaring, then he disappeared in the blink of an eye. The one who had saved me was still facing the other way.

I opened my mouth, but I didn't have the courage to say a word. I could feel my voice had returned, but terror was still trembling through my body at the sight of what had just happened.

The figure before me slowly turned his head around, revealing his cloudy blue eyes, this time full of shame, embarrassment, and concern.

It was Damian.

I gasped when I realized it was him and stepped back in horror, farther into the forest.

He opened his mouth in attempt to say something, but no words came out.

My heart was beating so fast I was sure it was going to fly out of my chest at any moment. I could feel my body trembling as I was afraid for my life.

"You're hurt," he said, looking at my cheek with worry and a hint of anger in his eyes. He took a step forward, wanting to help me. His eyes flared a shade of red, but he quickly controlled himself and they returned to its natural blue color.

I frantically stepped back, scared of what he might do. My fingers cautiously felt my cheek, unaware of the bleeding wound.

Thankfully, it was nothing too fatal, just a scratch. I must have gotten it when Damian snatched Grayson off of me.

"No--" I warned, my heart beating rapidly in my chest. I stared at him in fear, warmth trickling down my cheek.

"I'm sorry," he said, looking away. His breathing was deep and uneven and his eyes full of sadness and concern.

I hadn't seen him like this before. He was vulnerable, hesitant, and maybe even afraid.
I didn't know what to say. What had just happened? What is Grayson? Is he human? Damian is Grayson's brother? Is he like Grayson too? Is Damian going to kill me now after what I had just witnessed?

A bird sang a beautiful melody in the distance, but it was enough to make me jump.
When I looked back at Damian, he was gone.

Frantically searching all around me, there was no sign of Damian or Grayson to be seen. However, I still couldn't shake the feeling I was being watched. I desperately ran back to the sanctuary to grab my belongings and get the hell out of here. I released my death grip on my English homework, revealing a crumpled, but still salvageable paper. I stuffed it in my bag and ran away as fast as I could.