Plot copying and cliches

I read a lot of comments about plot copying or "do-overs." I read as many comments about cliches. While we certainly don't ever want to copy another writers work, worrying about writing something that's "already been done" is a waste of your precious time. Know why?

Because it has already been done.

I've heard different professionals in the publishing business say that there are anywhere from 4 to 22 truly original plots. Excuse me while I count, but...yeah, I'm up to 23 books and movies off the top of my head. So, obviously, one of those writers is guilty of ripping off someone else's plot.

Of course, that's nonsense. Even if there are as few as 4 original plots, every writer adds his or her personal touch, creating unique characters and settings for each plot. Adding story elements that haven't (or have) been added before. 

So there's the second reason you shouldn't worry about copying a plot. Unless you steal the author's characters, story beats, and setting, you can't copy her work. If you wrote a story about a teenage girl who falls in love with a vampire, you are not copying Twilight. No more than Stephanie Meyer is copying Bram Stoker or Anne Rice.

As far as cliche, you will write them. There are two types: character and figures of speech. Character cliches happen. The gum smacking waitress, the cheerleader who reads Seventeen and shuns girls not as pretty as her, the Irish cop. Those should be fixed during your plotting. If your protagonist is the beautiful cheerleader type, do a reversal on some of the commonly used traits. Instead of Seventeen, have her sneaking off to read the latest Guns and Ammo. Instead of shunning other girls, have her visiting a shelter for battered women and their kids on weekends, where she does makeovers for the young girls there to cheer them up.

Remember, always go the unexpected route, both in your scenes and your characters. Well, not always. Sometimes that gum smacking waitress is just what we need. But look for different with each of your characters and you'll be described as genius. 

The other cliche, the figures of speech, should be avoided like the plague. They're as old as the hills. Don't give them the time of day. Unfortunately, many of these figures of speech are so common that we use them almost as a word unto themselves. If you're in narrative, try to pick 'em off and, once again, do the reversal. Cliches should be "avoided like another Rolling Stones goodbye tour." They're as "old as the pizza under my brother's bed." You get the point.

In dialogue, however, since your characters are actual people, they may use cliches from time to time. In fact, a character who does it constantly can be downright humorous. But it's even funnier if she mixes her cliches and says something completely nonsensical. 

So, don't worry about the bigger issue of plot copying. You can't, unless you really intend to do it. Focus on good writing, changing up your characters, making your plots unique with your own special flavor.

And write that vampire book! If he sparkles, though, I'm coming after ya.

Watch for tomorrow's podcast where Gina and I will discuss some of the major story plots, or what she likes to call "Games."