How to Comment

Some of you may have noticed that I like to go about and comment on your writing. I figure most of you, since you're reading this, are serious about your writing. That means you want honest feedback. I know I do. If you read one of my two current novels, NOW I KNEW YOU or ANGEL 'N ME, and find something that doesn't work, please tell me! We're all here to get better. All of you can be professional authors. But it takes work. And you're always learning. Alway improving.

That being said, I want to make sure you all are doing the same for each other.

Most of the writers on Wattpad have a few loyal readers and friends. Go through any book--bad or good--and they are showered with praise. This is all fine. An author needs encouragement. And most of those comments are sincere. The readers truly love the stories.

But encouragement only takes us so far. We, as authors, need to offer more than praise. We need to help each other grow. That means pointing out things that don't work. Telling the writer that she's opening with too much backstory and not enough action. That she's "telling" and not "showing." That the characters seem flat or all the same. The dialogue isn't realistic.

These are the types of comments we make to one another. But we must also use a little praise. It's very easy to deflate a new writer. Trust me, I know. When an assistant editor who is younger than your daughter tells you that your story doesn't make sense, it drives you to the nearest triple dip of butter pecan (don't judge...we all have our hangups).

I was old enough and experience enough at that time (2005) to recover. But on Wattpad, we often don't know the age of the writers, who can range anywhere from 8 to 80. Based on the statistics, we can assume they trend toward the younger end of that spectrum.

Many of you are at that younger end. Some of you are 10, some 16. But you know what? There's a massive difference in the mindset of a 10 year old and 16 year old. So be careful when critiquing. If you form critique groups, which I recommend, then you'll know the people you're working with and can be a bit more blunt.

But for the Wattpad comments, I like a 3 step system:

1. Praise the writer for posting her story! This takes courage. Make sure she knows that.
2. Point out one, and only one, weakness. Usually this is the backstory problem or a lack of conflict.
3. Point out something you like about the story. It can be a good premise, or a fun character, or just good basic writing.

This is nothing new. If you watch carefully, your teachers probably employ similar methods. People, especially young children, respond better to a lesson of it's sandwiched in praise.

Everyone on Wattpad has the potential to be a great writer. I'd certainly hate myself if I was the one who made the next J.K. Rowling pack up her keyboard because of something I said. So let's not let that happen, okay?

Now, speaking of critique groups, GinaConroy and I would like to get some of you into groups. If you can do it without our help, that's great. But if you want some help, go the TeenWritersPublish.com website and click on "Teen Writers Connect." Fill out the little form along with your Wattpad info. There you can meet other writers like you, who want to start your writing careers now. This DOES NOT sign you up for the newsletter or get you on any mailing list. If you'd like the weekly newsletter, use the "Join Teen Writers Publish" form in the blue box.

Okay? Now go help out a new writer. You may be sparking the next Harry Potter series!