11- After

*5 months later*

I stop at the bleachers to have Sam flip my cap for me. I then step up onto the bleachers and sit next to a girl from the opposing team. I'm nervous. I'm scared. I've never done this. What if I mess up? What if I really mess up? I can't look at anyone as more names are called out and more girls, both from my team and the one we're swimming against, sit down next to me. My heat is called soon. I walk down the hallway leading to the pool and wait.

I file in with the rest of them and we form a line behind the girls in the heat before us. They line up behind the blocks. I look into the water. I see the boys who are currently swimming the 200 Medley. I can't watch them. I'm too freaked out.

They finish. The girls in the first heat line up on the blocks. I'm in the second heat because I'm expected to be slower. They dive into the water. The boys from the previous heat climb out. I notice PJ walking over to me. I cross my arms over my chest, rubbing my shoulders to feign cold.

"Are you ok?" he asks, running his fingers over his soaked hair, making it stick up on end.

"Yeah," I lie. No need to let him worry about me.

He nods and tells me he'll be over on the other side of the pool to watch me. He tells me I'll do great. He even makes a joke about how I had the best teacher and I'll beat the girls' times from the heat before me, who are finishing up. I don't hear him. I stretch. The last girl touches the wall, ending the first heat for the 200-free. I climb onto the block and take my place on the bottom of it, positioning myself to dive when the first buzzer sounds. A second later, it signals my start.

Small bubbles make their way over me as I dive into the water. I kick my legs, trying to make it as far as I can, as fast as I can, under the water. I come up for air and move my arms over and out, extending my arms as far as possible. I don't look at the others. I concentrate.

I reach the end of the pool, and just for a second, look up. I see Beth and Sam motioning for my flip turn. And just before I do it I see PJ, also standing at the edge. Smiling.

I retrace my path in the water, still not sure where I am in the race. I make it back to the wall, and only then do I look around.

And I notice that every other girl in my heat is still swimming. Which means I have the best time. A glance at the clock confirms it.

And I grin so far I'm sure my face will split in two.

Finally, the last girl reaches the wall and the next heat begins. I climb out and wipe the water from my face, taking my goggles off and looking around. I find my friends and boyfriend and walk over sheepishly. I almost slip when Sam rushes over to hug me, Beth not far behind her.

"You got fourth place! You beat two girls in the first heat!" Sam says, squishing me. I don't know what to say. All I do is smile stupidly before starting to laugh with astonishment. I actually did it. And I did it well.

My friends finally let me go and leave to get ready for their own races. PJ is the only one left waiting for me. And I fall into his arms so fast I'm afraid I'll knock him over.

He wears a warmup jacket, damp and smelling like chlorine. It's my new favorite smell. I continue to hug him, not saying a word. A few parents I don't know walk past us, giving us odd looks. I could care less.

I finally draw away from him and look up into those stormy blue-gray eyes. I stifle a grin as he pulls away from me and looks around, faking self-consciousness as he whispers, "Stop! People will know we're dating!"

I hit his arm and he rubs it. "Ow."

"You deserve it. Not even congratulating me. Disgraceful."

"That's the Ava I know. Taking all the credit for something I taught her." I hit him again, harder this time. "Are you trying to ruin my flawless skin?" he asks.