7- Payback, Stuart

I cautiously slid into the car, instant heat blasting onto my face as I slammed the door. My mom was constantly freezing, and the air conditioner in the car was never on, even during summer. Considering it was almost June, and pretty hot this year, it was only normal for this to happen.

I didn't dare look over at her until we were safely out of PJ's driveway. I didn't want her getting mad while he could still see. I hated the fact that he somehow thought this was his fault.

We pulled out onto the main road and I began to sweat, from both nervousness and the stupid heat of the car.

"So what happened, Ava?" my mom asked, startling me.

"What do you mean?"

"What were you two doing that impeded you from turning your phone on?"

Oh, no. Big vocabulary words. Bad news.

"I was learning how to swim. What else?" I asked, instantly regretting my choice of words. Definitely not complacent.

"Ava, don't use that TONE with me!" My mom raised her voice.

"Well, you always think I'm doing something I'm not supposed to! I'm sick of you not trusting me. You know that I was in the pool. Why would you call me? It's just dumb." Now I was getting in really deep. I could see my mom's mouth set in a firm line, and she gripped the steering wheel.

"Ava, I was worried about you. I don't know this boy, and God knows what most boys your age are like these days. They're pigs!" she seethed.

"Do you think I don't know that?" I asked. Then I added, quietly: "PJ isn't like them, mom."

She sat there for a while, staring out onto the road, the occasional headlights of opposite-driving cars making her eyes gleam. Then she let out a sigh. "Alright, Ava. I'll admit it. I don't fully trust you. But maybe I should start. I just want to make sure you're ok."

"I know, mom. And thanks for that. But I swear, PJ is great."

"I'm sure he is. So you're not in trouble. But that comes with one condition." Oh, no.

"What is it?" I asked with anxiety.

"I need to meet PJ before you go for another lesson."

No! Heck, no! Why? That would be so awkward! Mom must've noticed my dislike.

"That's the only thing. Is it really too much to ask?" she said.

"It depends on what you mean by 'meet'."

"Just have you introduce me. Then I'll leave."

Ew. But I supposed if that was all, I should count my lucky stars. I could be grounded, after all.

"Fine. Deal."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

We got back to the house and I went to my room where I could be alone to text. I made a mental list of who needed notified of things. But first things first: PJ.

-Hey, just so you know, everything's ok.

A few minutes later, he replied:

-Alright, good. I was getting really worried

Aww! He was worried. How was I supposed to not like this boy? He made it literally impossible.

-Yup. My mom was merciful.