Chapter 1 - Ashes to ash (Serena)

The first day of school was coming quicker than expected and I wasn't ready for another year. Seeing Ash in the airport as we got off the plane made me want to tell him everything. I had to tell someone and Dawn was the first person I thought of.

It was the last day of summer and I headed to Dawns house in the early morning. The sun was out and the sky was as clear as ever. Not one cloud sat above me and it gave the sun more room to shine. I reached Dawns house and walked straight in.

Being her bestfriend was like being the sister she never had. She always said to just walk in as no one would mind.

Walked in and noticed it was quite. Her parents must not be home so I raced up the stairs and to Dawn's room. I opened the door and she was sat on the end of her bed, texting the others, I presumed.

"Oh hey Serena!" Dawn smiled as she put her phone down and I gave her a fake smile back.

"What's wrong, Serena? Is there something you need to tell me?" Dawn asked as I sat next to her. She could see straight through my terrible acting.

"Something happened while I was away and.." I stopped there. I didn't want to continue. A tear escaped from my eye as I began to explain everything. Dawn had her mouth wide open for a few seconds and then woke up from her day dream.

"WHAT?!" She almost screamed in my face "You have to tell Ash, Serena. It's the only way" I shook my head. I could never hurt him like that, but I could never forget what I had done.

"Listen. If you don't tell him sooner it will make things worse if he finds out later" Dawn was always so supportive. I didn't see it that way and I couldn't make up my mind.

"Dawn, please don't tell anyone. For me?" I pleaded. Dawn finally nodded and I sighed with a little relief. Just then Calem tried calling me. He was almost like a stalker these past few weeks. He wouldn't get the fact that our kiss meant nothing out of his head.

I decided to ignore it and Dawn seemed interested "Who is calling you?" She curiously wondered.

"It's Calem. He tries this every day now. I just tell him to go away" I shrugged and stared down at the floor. Everywhere I went I felt so ashamed to even live on the same street as Ash.

After a change in conversation and a supportive goodbye. I left the house and headed home.

Just before I entered my house I heard a voice down the street. Ash was coming back from his run and saw me. I sighed deeply.

"Hey Ash" I said smiling a fake smile.

He returned a real one."Fancy going out tonight before the summer ends? My treat" My heart skipped several beats and I felt like running away.

"I can't tonight, Ash. I'm sorry" I lied, and looked a bit nervous.

"It's ok, I'll see you in the morning!" He waved as he walked inside and I headed into my house before rushing upstairs and burying my head into my pillow.

I couldn't take it anymore. I will have to tell him sooner rather than later.

(Cilan)

I received a message several minutes after my run with Ash. Coincidentally, it was from him.

'Don't you think Serena has been acting a little weird lately?' Ash had put.

I scratched my head and mentally nodded with agreement. Her behaviour was different.

'Maybe it is because she is growing up, we all get like that sometimes' I replied and a message popped up on screen soon after.

'You're probably right, thanks Cilan'

'No problem'

I switched to my conversation with Dawn and began texting.

'Have you noticed that Serena has been acting weird lately?'

She saw the message instantly, and several times it said she was replying, yet she always deleted it. Hesitating? I wondered for a moment.

'Weird? I think you are being silly'

I examined the message. Dawn had never used the word silly before. Infact, she hated it. Something was up.

'Dawn what are you hiding from me? It is too obvious that something is up. Lets not be 'silly' about this'

I think I heard her facepalm across town as she began to reply. I wonder what Serena was hiding.

Suddenly, after two minutes, a large paragraph popped up on my screen and Dawn confessed everything. I literally thought I was going to pass out. I dropped my phone on the floor in shock and collapsed into my bed. I placed my hands in my head and sighed. I had to tell Ash. As his bestfriend. If he found out I knew he would kill me as well. Calem and Serena in the space of two weeks have created a years worth of trouble. I will confront Serena and tell her straight.

She will tell Ash all about the kiss.

Or I will.