Chapter Twenty Six

I wake up after a long night of tossing and turning. My lack of rest makes me thankful I don't have classes today. I roll out from under the soft comfort of my bed and begin to get dressed.

Last night was too much. Harry was so hurt and I couldn't help but feel guilty. Every time I see him, I want to be with him, and that hasn't changed. It's just that I need to figure out how to protect myself from the pain before I potentially put myself in harm's way again.

I pull out a pair of high waisted jean shorts and a loose black tank top to tuck into them. My hair is pulled back into a ponytail and I make my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

As I walk down the hallway, I bump into a girl, whom I've never seen before. "Oh, sorry," I say and she smiles. "It's fine," she says, pushing her blonde hair behind her ear. She has beautiful, big blue eyes. I can't help but ask,"Are you new here?" She smiles and nods. "I, uh, transferred. I've been here since Monday," she says. I nod and smile.

"Well, nice meeting you, I'm Claire, by the way." She takes my hand and says,"Perrie. Perrie Edwards."

When I walk away, I turn the handle to the bathroom, and brush my teeth. Once again, I have bags under my eyes. I apply a small amount of makeup, just enough to make me look like I slept at all for the past ten years.

After that, I grab my phone and leave for the coffee stand. To my surprise, my new acquaintance, Perrie, is already there, and talking to Zayn! As I make my way closer, I listen to them talk, noticing Perrie's accent, which I didn't catch before. "Hey, Perrie! Zayn," I nod to him.

He glances at Perrie and then to me. "Hey, Claire. You know Perrie?" Perrie smiles and nods explaining,"We live in the same dormitory." She turns to me and says,"I just met Zayn and he promised to give me a proper tour of the campus today." I smile and nod to them, ordering my coffee.

"Well, nice seeing you!" She waves to me, practically being pulled away by a happy seeming Zayn. I can't help but think that maybe he's moving on a little fast? Or maybe that's what he needs after Aubrey, and Perrie does seem awfully sweet.

After the cashier hands me my coffee, I turn around, practically spilling the hot beverage all over a tall figure. "Oh god! I'm sorry!" I say, searching the white shirt for any coffee stains. As I do so, I notice the faint shape of a butterfly. Oh.

"Harry! You scared me!" He smiles, dimples showing. "Sorry," he mutters and follows me as I begin to walk away. "Stop following me," I say, not getting a reaction, seeing as I can still hear the tapping of his boots behind me.

I turn around harshly, staring him dead in the eye. "What do you want from me?" His eyes narrow in confusion as his jaw clenches in the way that makes the shape of his lips more defined. Oh goodness, Claire! Stop that!

He shrugs,"I just can't seem to stay away," he fools with his rings and I can see a smug grin on his face. I sigh. "Did you forget about the conversation we had last night?" I ask, and his eyes shoot to mine, a serious expression taking over his face.

"No, I remember. I remember how I asked you to prove that you still loved me and you wouldn't." The way his eyes soften as he recalls the words make my insides mush.

"Harry, I don't know how I can do that if we aren't together." When I say this, his emerald eyes light up and he grabs my hands. "So let's just be together! It'll be easier! We both know that we can't stay away, and this is how it's supposed to be! We love each other! I don't know why you're holding off on this!" He says, hopefully.

I shake my head, pulling my hands away. "I'm sorry, Harry. I just can't. It doesn't mean I don't want to. I just can't right now. Please don't make me have to say it again," and with that, I turn around and enter the library.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry's POV~

I walk away, my head lowered. That did not go how I wanted it to. She really doesn't want to get back together. The realization hurts, and I hate that kind of pain.

The reminder that Louis is taking me to a house party tonight settles me somewhat. Maybe I can just drink my sorrows away. I know I told Claire that I wouldn't drink a lot if she didn't want me to, but we're not together right now, so her opinion doesn't really matter.

I turn the knob to find Louis on his computer. "Hey, mate," he says when he notices me. "Hey," I reply. I can feel Louis' eyes on me and when I look at him, he looks concerned. "Why so glum?" He asks.

"No reason. Hey, we're still going to that party tonight right?" When I ask this, Louis grows a huge grin. "Oh yeah, mate. It's going to be siiiiiick!"

His excitement makes me smile. I should be excited! Why am I still putting the effort into a relationship where there isn't any effort on the other end? Why do I still find all the time to talk to her, when she doesn't even want to talk to me?

Why should I act like I care, when she continually shuts me out? All these questions form a fire in the pit of my stomach, which I can't wait to fuel with alcohol.

"Well, I'm going to go throw a disc around with Liam, care to join?" Louis asks, getting up and putting his shoes on. I shake my head. "No, I think I'll stay in," a grin growing on my face. Louis looks at me like I've grown two heads.

"What?" I ask, and he shakes his head with a chuckle. "Nothing, I just have a feeling tonight is gonna be good for you," he says, closing the door behind him.