Chapter 3

So they simply sat there on the grass, just talking and enjoying each other's company. They had so much to catch up on; after all, they had been separated for a decade. They had immediately bonded together, cracking jokes and throwing insults at each other as they had done years before. However, unlike the old days, they felt a strong attraction to each other, and a desire for each other's amity.

"I still can't believe how much you've grown up", Jack chuckled, looking at the astonishing girl sitting before him.

"You say it like it's a bad thing", Merida shoved him jokingly, letting out a laugh. Every time he caught her laughing, strangely enough, he felt warmth spreading throughout him.

"It really isn't, Merida", he countered, "I just remember you being this daredevil of a little kid, who I deeply bonded with. Now I look at you, and I see this unremarkably stunning lady."

"Now, there's no need to lie, Frost", she said, her freckled cheeks turning scarlet.

"Wow, do you still have trouble differentiating between a truth and a lie?" He gasped teasingly. "Because what I'm telling you know is nothing but the truth", he said smirking at her.

Merida looked up into his mesmerizing blue eyes, and simply smiled at him. She was surprised at how she hadn't noticed how handsome Jack had been when she was younger. His lean, yet strong looking stature, his snowy, messy hair, together with his soul-stirring smirk, she couldn't help but notice her heart skip a beat.

They then sat there in silence, peering into each other's eyes, with the sky slowly turning into shades of orange as it begun to set.

"Hang on a sec, orange?" Merida muttered mostly to herself, and sprung up onto her feet. "Damn, I'm going to be late! I need to be home by sunset", she cried out. "I've got to go, Frost. Promise to come back soon, okay?" She said, as she stepped towards him and wrapped her arms around his torso.

"I promise", he said softly into her ear.

With that she turned on her heel, pacing up towards where Angus stood. Instantaneously, Jack reached out and grabbed onto Merida's wrist, pulling her back towards him. Her enchanting blue eyes looked up into his, which was just inches from hers.

"Merida, there's just one thing I need to do before you go", he whispered softly.

And with that he cupped her head in his hands and kissed her. Despite the initial shock, Merida kissed him back, feeling wrapped up in the moment. It had just felt so right, their bodies pressed against each other, kissing as the wind blew through their hair.

Merida unexpectedly pulled away from him, looking directly at the ground.

"J- Jack," she stuttered, "You're too late."

"What do you mean?"

"You came back too late", she said, lifting her head, her eyes full of despair as she caught the gaze of his eyes. "I got engaged this morning, Jack. I'm getting married soon."