Chapter 8: Why Hello Mr. Tool

Andy looked up from the work on her desk to the clock above the door of her classroom. The little girl in the middle of the floor sat quietly while she played with toys, waiting for her dad. “Honey, your daddy is coming soon, right?” The little girl, Rebecca was her name, only nodded and continued to play. Although she was extremely shy, she was very sweet.

Suddenly a man burst through the door. “I am so sorry. How late am I?” He asked Andy.

She smiled. “School gets out at 3:30. It’s 4:00 right now. I usually leave about 4:00 so you aren’t too late.”

The man nodded and walked to the little girl. “Hey, Becca, are you ready to go home?”

While he talked to his daughter Andy took the time to admire him. He had a strong build with short blonde hair and electric blue eyes. Although she didn’t generally like her men with much facial hair she thought Mr. Tooley sported his well.

Picking up his daughter he walked over to Andy. “Thank you for keeping an eye on her. My ex-wife told me last minute I was picking her up from school.” He explained. “I’m Sean by the way.”

Andy just nodded in understanding. “Andy. And it’s hard being a single parent.” She sympathized.

“Do you have a kid?” He inquired, looking very intrigued.

Again, Andy nodded. “My son, Tyler. He’s two and a half.”

Mr. Tooley smiled. “Oh, I bet he’s a ball of fire.”

“You have no idea. I’m so tired. Sometimes I just want a break. Don’t get me wrong because I love my son—”

“I understand fully. How ‘bout I take you on a break?”

Andy paused. That was unexpected. Parents didn’t usually ask teachers out. Screw that, they didn’t ever ask teachers out; at least not in her school. She mentally debated this. He was asking her on a date? But he was a student’s father! However, he was single, not to mention good looking… one date wouldn’t hurt right?

“Um…well—”

“What’s one date? I promise it will be fun. You can let loose, and just, you know, relax.”

She bit the corner of her bottom lip. “What about your daughter and my son?” She asked, trying to make an excuse.

“Becca is at her mom’s this weekend. And I know a really good babysitter if you need one,” he offered.

“I’ll get my best friend to watch him.” Andy told him. She didn’t want her son to be watched by some stranger!