27. Tom Marvolo Riddle *

Start from the beginning

"Harry, listen to me!" I shout.
"Haylee, just calm down," he says soothingly, but it does nothing to calm me. "You've got to help me, Tom," Harry begins, trying to get Asher and Ginny up. "We've got to get then our of here. There's a Basilisk...I don't know where it is, but it could be along any moment. Please, help me..."

Riddle doesn't say a word, and Harry - who is swearing - manages to hoist Ginny and Asher half up from the ground. He then reaches for his wand, only to find it gone.

"Did you see -?"

Harry stops as we notice Riddle holding his wand - twirling it in his long fingers.

"Thanks," Harry says, reaching for it.
"Harry-"

He ignores me again, and continues watching Riddle, who continues twirling Harry's wand in his fingers, while my wand resides in his pocket.

"Listen," Harry says urgently. "We've got to go! If the Basilisk comes..."

"It won't come until it is called," Riddle says calmly.
"Harry-"

"What d'you mean?" He questions. "Look, me my wand, I might need it. And Haylee, where's your wand?"

"He has it," I whisper shakily, making Riddle's smile broaden.

"You won't be needing them," he says.
"What d'you mean? We won't be-?"

"I've waited a long time for this, Harry Potter," Riddle says. "For the chance to see you. To speak to you. But I must say, your sister is much more interesting."

"Look," Harry says impatiently. "I don't think you get it. We're in the Chamber of Secrets. We can talk later."

"We're going to talk now," Riddle says, pocketing Harry's wand.

I can tell that Harry is slowly getting the points.

"How did Ginny and Asher get like this? And how did Haylee get so injured?" He asks slowly.

"Well, that's an interesting question," Riddle says pleasantly. "And quite a long story. I suppose the real reason Ginny Weasley and Asher Saunters are like this is because she opened her heart and spilled her secrets to an invisible stranger, and dragged her best friend down with her."

"What are you talking about?" Harry asks.
"Harry, he's mental!" I whisper.

"The diary," Riddle explains. "My diary. Little Ginny has been writing in it for months and months, telling me her pitiful worries and woes: how her brothers tease her, how she had to come to school with second-hand robes and books, how she didn't even think famous, good, great Haylee and Harry Potter would ever like her..."

I try to warn Harry again, but he tells me to be quiet.

"It's very boring, having to listen to the silly troubles of an eleven-year-old-girl," Riddle continues. "But I was patient. I wrote back, I was sympathetic, I was kind. Ginny simply loved me. 'No one's ever understood me like you Tom...I'm so glad I've for this diary to confide in...it's like having a friend I can carry in my pocket...I think Asher would love to meet you too'."

Riddle laughs a malicious laugh,.

"If I say it myself, Harry and Haylee, I've always been able to charm the people I needed. So Ginny poured her soul out to me, and then Asher followed in her suit. And together, their souls were exactly what I wanted. I grew stronger and stronger on a diet of their deepest fears, their deepest secrets. I grew enough to start feeding them a few of my own secrets, to start pouring little bits of my soul back into them..."

"What so you mean?" Harry questions.

"Haven't you guessed yet, Harry Potter?" Riddle says softly. "It took your sister no time at all to figure it all out. Ginny Weasley opened the Chamber of Secrets, and she dragged Asher Saunters into it all. They daubed threatening messages on the walls. They set the Serpent of Slytherin on four Mudbloods, and the Squib's cat. And Asher was the one who knocked Haylee out, and brought her here."