Awake My Soul

My brain felt like lead. It swelled in my head, testing the barrier of my skull. I felt my heart summersault in my chest as reality rammed into me. I carefully eased my way up fighting the panic rising in the pit of my stomach. I forced my eyes open.

“You’re finally awake.” Came a soft, velvety voice. I recognized the clarity of his tone as I slowly turned to face him. “Hello there.”

Despite his gentle face and welcoming smile, I felt insecure. He was like a snake in the grass. Slippery, dangerous. I took a deep breath rubbing my throat.

“H-hello.” I choked politely. I tried to smile, but it failed. “W-where’s the girl?”

His smile slipped, but only slightly. He regained his posture and scooted closer to me in his chair.

“She’s fine, my dear. Damon released her, as promised.” Something about his statement felt off. I studied his face. His perfectly tussled hazelnut hair dipped below the top of his sweet hazel eyes. He had a strong face with a hard jaw that jutted out at just the right angle. His lips pressed to a fine line. He couldn’t be older than twenty three.

“Alive?” I asked. He looked down. My heart skipped a beat.

“Could you please tell me your name?” He asked taking my hands in his. He shot me another warming smile. I pulled away. I didn’t trust him. Not at all.

“It-it’s common curtsey to give your name first.” I replied evenly. “Besides, w-why does it m-matter wh-when you’re o-only going to kill me?”

I was still having trouble speaking, but my words seemed to hover in the air. The stranger absorbed them and nodded.

“You shouldn’t be afraid.” He told me. “I promise I will not hurt you.”

“W-what about Damon?” I asked narrowing my eyes. He shifted uncomfortably. In my life, I’ve dealt with a lot of people like him. They choose their words so carefully hoping that no one will notice. I smiled.

“I can’t speak on Damon’s behalf.” He finally said. I nodded.

“At least y-you’re h-honest.” I stuttered. “B-but don’t y-you control him?”

The corners of his mouth tilted upwards as he let out a slight chuckle. “So is that the conclusion you came to? Oh, my dear girl, yes.”

“And just w-what exactly d-does that mean?” I questioned. He smirked.

“He listens to me.” He said in a dangerously low voice. I froze. He laughed. “You don’t need to worry. The reason you’re here with me and not with him is because I like you.”

“Y-you like me?” I felt my face twist with confusion. Again, he smiled.

“Yes, is that so hard to believe? The big scary monster has a heart, he can feel love.”

I scanned his face for an answer. He was so hard to read. I shook my head. “L-love?”

He frowned, but it didn’t feel real. “Maybe not love, but I can certainly take a liking to someone. The moment I first laid eyes on you I knew you were something worthwhile.”

I lowered my head. “This is surreal.” I murmured clasping my throat. Someone bandaged me up. I shook my head. “W-why? Why me?”

“Ah, the famous question. How does a killer choose his victim?” He muses. “I love your smile. Those cute little dimples in the side of your cheeks and your chin.” He said touching my face. I jerked away. “And your hair. Long, beautiful, wavy. Brown with a tint of red. Chestnut, maybe? And your eyes are large, full of wonder and love. Deep, deep green eyes.” He seemed lost in his own words despite his fixation on my face. He sighed. “You were perfect.”