I Hate This Part

“Ughhh. I hate this part,” I complained, burying my head in Azarias’s chest. He held me tightly, leaning his head on top of mine.

“Me too. If I could squeeze you into my back pocket and take you with me, I would,” he replied. The day was over, meaning we had to end our date. He had to go back to New York for school and I was stuck here in Jersey.

“Hey once we’re done with school, I’m moving to New York so we can be closer.”

“You don’t have to wait to apply to NYU-”

“You know I didn’t get in the first time,” I lied. I did get in the first time I applied to NYU. Though I wanted badly to go there for journalism and to be close to Azarias, my family refused. They claimed in order to keep me safe, I had to live at home until I got married. Even though I wasn’t planning to relocate now, I planned on defying my parents and moving to New York as soon as I graduated from Rutgers.

“I know. I don’t know why. You’re the smartest person I know. But don’t give up if it’s your dream, B,” he replied. “Anyways, before I go, I wanted to give you your birthday gift,” he added, reaching in his front pocket.

“Babe, I told you I don’t need a gift-”

“Yup. I heard you. But you won’t be able to refuse this gift,” he replied, in a grin, as he handed me a Tiffany’s jewelry box.

“Well, I can’t say no to jewelry,” I said, smiling back, taking the box.

“It’s better than jewelry.” I glanced up at him, wondering what in that box could be better than jewelry. By the way he mischievously grinned, I knew it had to be something great. I popped open the top. Inside was a sterling silver key chain with a silver Taxi dangling from it. My eyes followed the keychain to the end of it. There lay a key. I looked at him as I pulled the key out.

“This is a key,” I said, stating the obvious.

“To my loft. I want you to move in with me.”

“I can’t-”

“Before you say no,” he stared, placing his finger against my lips. “At least sleep on it. And even though you decide that’s not what you want, the key is yours so you can come to the loft anytime.”

“I love you,” I said, embracing him a hug.

Unlike most girls who probably tried to imagine how happy they would be living with their boyfriend, my mind raced to the worst thing that could happen: Some enemies finding out where we live and killing my boyfriend. I could see Azarias lying in a pool of blood in the bathroom. BANG! BANG! Two shots. One in his head and another in his left chest…execution style.  I shook my head, shaking the disturbing image away from my thoughts. I didn’t want to start crying.

I wish I could say yes and move in with him. I wish my family wasn’t a part of the family. I wish I didn’t have to worry about the repercussions for moving in with him. But I had to. That was part of being a crime boss’s daughter. “I’ll think about it,” I added, knowing that the answer was most likely a no. I loved him enough to stay away. That’s why my family knew nothing about him.