Chapter 1

"Alexandra, come on you can't just skip work" I rolled my eyes at my over protective brother.

"I can and I will, can't I come with you to work?" He was an intern at William Wright Academic Hospital.

"You sound so childish I can't believe you're only a year younger, if you stay in the cafeteria that would be good for me as long as our parents don't see you, you can come with." I nodded, there's no way today that I'm going to work unfortunately for me I'm just a shop assistant until I get my degree.

I chugged a good cup of coffee before I heard Daniel- the irritating brother you just met- honk his horn at me.

"I'm coming, hold your horses, jeez!" I grabbed my purse and my phone, locking the front door.I opened his car door roughly and slammed it on purpose. He glared at me before he drove to the hospital.

"When are you getting your degree?" I've told him this like a thousand times but yet he never really listens to me. I think he might be getting old because of his absence of listening skills.

"Old man...in a week."

"Old? Excuse me, I'm not much older than you." I beg to differ, a year makes a lot of difference.

We stopped at the white sterile building, I walked with him to the entrance.

"Keep out of trouble Alex." He narrowed his eyes at me before stalking off.

I knew this place since I was old enough to walk both my parents were surgeons and my brother wants to be one too, I, on the other hand was the black sheep of the family that didn't care for the whole doctor thing, I'd rather be happy with my law degree much to my parents displeasure to say my parents were shocked was an understatement, pissed as hell would be more accurate.

I walked with my purse-well more like a book bag-to the cafeteria and then plopped down in front the first table taking out a book trying to read after I ordered some more coffee. I was about halfway through when I heard a chair squeak in front of me, I looked up.

"Enjoying the book?" I nodded still studying this stranger, he had blue scrubs on, blue eyes to match and light blond hair.

"Uhm hi there?" I haven't seen him around before, and I basically know all the doctors, he must be new around here.

"Hi, sorry to intrude but I needed a place to sit and eat, all of the other seats were taken." I looked around and noticed the room was packed with people and waiters,it's lunchtime already?

"Oh it's fine." I shrugged it off and continued to read my book, he ate silently except for a few loud  chomps now and then. He tapped on my books so I set it down after he finished.

"By the way I'm Aaron." He gives me his hand to shake but I ignore it and wave.

"I'm Alex ." He smiled and it showed his dimples, he was kind of cute not that I care, it would just make it easier for me to remember who he is.

"Nice to meet you, I better be off." He stood up and walked away, Daniel came back with his eyes wide. Oh, what did I do wrong now?

"Do you know who that was?"

"That's Aaron,I just met him-he was only looking for a place to sit while he eats so don't go all big brother shit ass crazy, he didn't even look at me for more than a second."

"I can't, even if I want to that's Aaron Brent-head of Cardio."

"Time for you to suck up then if you want to be on his team" He's always wanted to do cardio but he's been stuck at neurology for a while and has been working with a very old man he says talks slower than a word per second. 

"Ha, you're funny." He said sarcastically and I just roll my eyes at him. He had lunch and told me that I need to find a ride home because he's scrubbing in today. This is why we don't get much family time, he's either working or I am and mom is in surgery and even over Christmas, we don't see each other. This is also part of the reason I don't want to be a doctor, all the unruly hours and the lack of sleep being awake purely on caffeine, I don't think it's worth it really.

I called my best friend Everett to pick me up because Daniel was my only ride, my mom wouldn't give me a ride not to mention my father. Everett said he's trying to come to the hospital but it's a stretch because it's raining and pouring down on the roads. I sat in the cafeteria still reading waiting for Everett to call and tell me he's here, that's if he comes.

The summer rain and storms cause this place to be a riot but for some reason it was quiet. I looked at my watch it's already past 7  and my stomach was growling, might as well eat a bite before I leave. They had some interesting food but I stuck with a turkey and tomato sandwich. I took a bite and let out an audible grunt-this is pure heaven. A whole day of sitting here and reading still didn't make this place less interesting, to be honest. 

I heard footsteps and then saw that guy again, he took his coffee and sipped on it while he leaned against the counter looking like he's waiting for someone.

I set my eyes back on my book sipping some tea and munching the sandwich, I heard my phone vibrate and answered it "Hi Everett".

"Hey Alex...uh I don't think I'm going to be able to get you, the roads are packed and there are a lot of accidents happening, I'm very sorry."

"It's fine, well better that you stay away from the roads then...thanks for trying  I'll see you next week"I greeted and sighed, if I don't get out of this hospital then I might as well stay the night. I did once actually spend a night here but it was different I was 5 and they had to take my tonsils out so not the same.

I picked up my book shoving it into my bag and putting in my earphones in, I bobbed my head a little and found a place on a stranded gurney that was shoved against a wall, taking out my book again, after a while my battery died and I was left with my book. I was so focused while reading that I almost jumped over the gurney when I heard someone clear their throats I looked up to see the same guy as in the cafeteria-Aaron Brent.

"Still reading?" I nodded but set my book down. I wanted to say sarcastically 'No thanks to you' but I bit back my urge.

"Yes..almost done actually" I tried to say in the most pleasant tone of voice I could muster, he hopped onto the gurney with me. You know that was not actually an open invitation.

"So you spend all your time reading in cafeterias at hospitals?"

"Nope, just today thought I'd skip work, be a rebel and all ."

"Wish I could do that someday...so why are you hanging out around here then, you don't look like a  visitor."

"My brother works here and he was my ride, I should go home but with the storm, I don't think so-I'm staying the night."

"Well then I'm going to be your entertainment for the night-I'm also stuck here, why don't we make this interesting then."

Remember to Vote and comment