Prologue

The floors began to vibrate and the very foundation of the club rocked to the beat of the music. Speakers were positioned in every corner of the room, allowing for my ears to momentarily dismiss their main function. People were everywhere. The dance floor attracted the most intoxicated imbeciles while the seating areas were reserved for two kinds of people. There were those who sat there with a few victims of their charm. These were the kinds of people who had only one thing in mind for the witless fools surrounding them, and it wasn’t to nominate them as their designated driver. The second category of people belonged to those who were forced here against their will, no less duped into accepting pathetic, empty proposals and who eventually allowed themselves to indulge in the bribery of others. These were the people who were forced to participate in the irrational acts of those much weaker in mind. These people were like me.

            “Loosen up Jae! Have some fun for once!” Ha-Ni drunkenly screamed in my semi-deafened ear as I rejected yet another grinding proposal, “He was freaky sexy! What’s your prob girl?!”

            “My problem is you, Jung Ha-Ni. I don’t want to be here now. Any other night would have been fine, just not tonight.” I waved her away knowing it was of no use. She was either too hammered to understand or just didn’t care.

            “Aish. Yah! Stop being so serious! Guys are going to find you much less attractive with a scowl like that.” She shook her head violently before motioning to the young bartender who was admiring us from afar. “Yah, oppa! Would be so kind as to give my friend here an ice cold beer since she won’t accept anything else.” She glared at me to emphasize her displeasure in my unwillingness. I glowered in reply.

            “Yah, Ha-Ni, you do not just simply call any Tom, Dick, or Harry oppa!”

            “Aigoo! Yah chingu! I’ve been here enough times, Jae. He’s young enough to be considered as an eligible boyfriend and old enough to be called oppa.” She declared to the wall. I turned her around to face me and patted her head lightly.

            “Arraso.”

            “Excuse me, would you care to dance?” I inhaled sharply and took a swig of the beer set before me and didn’t bother to glace backwards. His looks definitely weren’t enough to tempt to me, and if things turned out for the worst, it would convince me he was as competent as the pillars beside me.

            “No thank you, I’m perfectly fine just where I am.” I said before taking another sip of my beverage.

            “Ouch.” Silence followed from behind – that is if you ignored the rambunctious activity originating from the others surrounding us – but it didn’t last. “How ‘bout you?” he asked Ha-Ni. She turned to him with an incredulous look plastered on her face.

“You’re planning on using me as a rebound after you asked her right in front of me?” I looked back at him for the first time, hoping he wouldn’t be in a hospital five minutes later.

“What the Fritos,” she mused. “I’m drunk enough anyways, might as well make the most of it before you drag me back to hell.” She snapped

“Whatever.” I scoffed. She pranced off gaily with the boy in tow leaving me to my own devices. I turned the bar stool towards the dance floor, thoroughly unimpressed by the sight and leaned my elbows back on the bar, crossing my leg over my knee, to observe what I was sure to end in disaster. Scenes from I Do, I Do came to mind and I laughed. I hoped to high heavens nothing important had been revealed, given how short my current attire was. Surely, I had thought, surely Ha-Ni had longer dresses than this. It seems I over-estimated her.