chapter seven

I got home later that night. I was so exhausted, I was hanging out with Carl all day. I walked into my kitchen to make myself something to eat. Someone knocked on the door. Puzzled, I slowly walked towards the front of the house. I opened the door to see my best friend from Arizona, Caden, standing on my porch. "Caden!" I said before hugging him. "What are you doing here?" I asked as he walked into my house. He shrugged. "Shit with my mom, I had enough so I packed my shit and left." He sat on my couch. "It's about time." I replied, sitting next to him. He looked so different from the last time I saw him. He didn't have blonde hair anymore. He dyed his hair black and he had blue tips. It changed his appearance completely. "So how is living in Chicago?" He asked me, sitting back. "I don't know." I said quickly. "Do you miss Arizona?" He asked. "Fuck no." I laughed. "I don't blame you," He sat up. "You meet any friends?" I nodded. "Debbie Gallagher, she lives across the street." I spoke softly. "Hey, guess what I got a girlfriend now." He smiled. "No shit. Who is she and when will I get to meet this girl." He smiled at the thought of her. "Her name is Bonnie." He giggled. I smiled at him. "I might have a boyfriend." I stated. "That a girl! Who is it?" I felt my cheeks get hot. "Debbie's brother, Carl." He nodded. "Maybe you can bring Carl to the park tomorrow! Bonnie and I will be there." I nodded. "Sounds good!" It was silent for a minute. "Where are you living?" I asked him. "A shitty apartment complex." I raised an eyebrow. "You're living alone?" He nodded. "How the fuck does that work? You're only sixteen!" I said, confused. "I took my cousin's information. They think I'm eighteen." I nodded. That made more sense. I still couldn't believe that Caden was here now. I haven't seen him since before I moved. "Well, I'd better get going," He said, standing up. "I'll see you and Carl tomorrow at the park around three?" I stood up. "Sounds like a plan." I gave him a thumbs up before hugging him again. "I'm glad you're here, Caden." I say before pulling back. He nodded. "See you tomorrow, Mel." He patted my shoulder before walking out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After school Carl and I were at our lockers and getting our stuff to go home. I slipped on his flannel as I looked over at him. He was spraying cologne on himself. What a dork. I slung my bag over my shoulder and looked at him. "Mel, why are you staring at Carl?" Ashley asked while walking up to me. I sighed. "I don't know. He's just a dork." I smiled at him and waved for him to come over. He saw me and walked over. "You're not starting to like him are you?" Ashley asked. "Maybe." I said quickly. He hugged me. "Hey, Mel."I smiled at him, playfully pushing him. We all walked out of the school and walked towards the park. "Where are we going?" Carl asked. "The park." I replied. "Why?" He asked. "Because, Carl, I have someone I want you to meet." He nodded. "Is Lip gonna be there?" Ashley perked up. "Oh god are you obsessed with my brother, Ash?" Carl laughed. She gulped. "No," She checked her phone. "He's just very cute." Carl rolled his eyes. I laughed a little. We walked closer to the park, I saw Caden and his girlfriend."Who is that?" Ashley asked me. "It's my friend from Arizona. He moved up here. And I also wanted you guys to meet him while I meet his girlfriend." Caden spotted us, waving. We were only a few steps away. I hugged Caden. Bonnie turned around and smiled at me, then she looked at Carl. I looked over at Carl, his mouth open. "Carl, are you okay?" I asked, he ignored me. "Bonnie?" "Carl?" I looked at Ashley with a confused look. "You two know each other?" Caden asked. "Yeah I fucking know her, she's my ex," He said loud. "Also, she was my first love." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Oh hell no, this is like an episode of Jerry Springer or some shit." Carl looked around. I felt the tension fill the air. "Bonnie, why'd you leave me?"I could tell Carl was hurt. It hurt me, knowing that he was hurt. "Because I wasn't happy with you, Carl. You're an asshole." She said. I was getting furious. Who does she think she is. I know she's Caden's girlfriend and all, obviously is ruining her first impression. "Bonnie, I loved you." She rolled her eyes. "What does he have that I don't?" He yelled. "Evidently, me." She said. Carl clenched his fist. "Fuck it." He stomped away. "Never talk to me again Bonnie, Ever." He screamed. "Way ahead of you, asshole." She yelled back. Ashley and Caden were off to the side talking. I walked over to Bonnie. "Sorry about that." She said. "You should be fucking sorry." I grabbed her by the collar of her shirt. "I don't care if you're my best friend's girlfriend or not, you do not talk to Carl like that. If I ever hear you say anything to him again, I will beat your pretty little ass. Do you understand?" I said looking into her eyes. I studied her face, she looked like she was about to piss herself. She nodded. "Good." I pushed her back and ran to Carl. He was crying, which was a surprise to me. "Carl?" I asked, walking up to him. He pulled me in for a hug. "Mel," he sniffed. "I know." I said as he rested his head in my neck. I turned to see Caden and Bonnie walking away. Ashley ran towards us. "HOLY SHIT MEL!" She said excited. "THAT WAS SO COOL!" Carl picked his head up. "What was cool?" He asked her. "She yelled at Bonnie for making you feel like this." Carl looked at me. I gulped. "She told her that if she ever says anything about you again she's gonna beat her ass. Remember that, Mel?" I nodded. "You said that to her?" He asked. "Yeah she did!" Ashley said before I could. "That's my girl." He smirked, high-giving me. I raised my eyebrows at him calling me "my girl" I felt myself blushing. We all walked to the Gallagher house.