CHAPTER VIII: All Things Must Come To An End

Depuis le début

"Put the camera down and check your door," Jay instructed, gesturing with a nervous flick of her eyes to the gaping opening in the wall. The wheels of his office chair rattling as he pushed himself over, Dean pressed the light button, and swore loudly when he was greeted by Chica's gaping yellow face. Hastily shutting the door, he rolled himself back to the desk.

"Okay, where'd she go?"

"Back to the party room. But Bonny's in the hallway."

"You ready to close the door?"

"Not just yet..." Jay's eyes narrowed as she studied the grainy image of Pirate Cove. She swallowed. The mysterious fox character inside was no longer hiding behind his starry purple curtain. His long, toothy face peeked from between the folds, eyes and fangs gleaming with menace. "But our neighbor from Pirate Cove has gotten friendly. Have a look."

"Oh, man." Dean frowned, his eyes growing alarmed in the light of the computer screen. "I wonder what his attack pattern is..."

"I guess we'll just have to find out the hard way," the reluctant sigh trailed from Jay's lips, and she turned to meet Dean's eyes. "I could be wrong, but he seems to be more aggressive than the others. We just need to be ready."

"And keep checking on him, right? Otherwise he gets more active? Isn't that what Phone Guy said?" Dean wondered.

"Yes. We can switch off responsibility of that. You can open your door now."

"Yep, got it." Dean did as she instructed, checking the light just in case. The hall was empty. Sitting back, Dean huffed to himself.

"Too bad you don't have your guitar again, this is kind of boring now that it's become routine." He admitted with a sidewise smirk.

"Don't say that, you'll jinx it!" Jay chuckled, flicking through the cameras.

"Though," Dean pointed out with a wolfish grin, "there are a few things we could do to pass the time and unwind..."

"We can't afford any distractions." Jay replied frankly, coldly, her eyes fixed intently on the screen.

"And what about after?" Dean pressed, more eager than cautious, though the caution had arisen when he saw her eyes flash with annoyance.

Jay let out a short huff of breath, rolling her head dramatically around to look at Dean with that strange, penetrating yet alluring gaze. And now it was tainted with a very dry and condescending stare. He raised his eyebrows expectantly, hopefully. She didn't say anything for a few seconds, and in the silence, Dean felt his confidence shriveling. Then finally she said in a low, deadly tone, "Dean. I thought I had made it clear last time where I stand on that topic. If I was not, tell me."

She said it like a challenge. One that Dean suddenly wasn't willing to take.

"No, yeah, you made yourself clear. Crystal, in fact. I just thought you maybe – yeah, never mind, I'm sorry."

"Mmm." Jay was beginning to feel hot and embarrassed, and when she looked at the camera, she found herself extremely glad of an excuse to change the subject. "Foxy's stepped out from behind the curtain." She said tersely.

"What, really?" Dean propelled himself closer, peering at the screen. "Well, I'll be damned," he said with a dry, breathy chuckled. "Look at the teeth on him."

"Yeah... Okay, I'll man the doors, you keep an eye on that guy." Jay instructed, standing a taking a position by one of the doors/

"I don't know how to feel about you being so close to the door. What if one of them is there when you're checking and it makes a grab for you?"