Chapter 7

Lil made her way down the steps from the dock and over to Harry, "What was that about?" She asked.

Harry shook his head, "nothing, just catching up with a friend.' Neither of them said anything for a minute before Harry saw the nervousness in Lil's face, "Are you okay?" He asked.

Lil nodded, "I'm fine, Harry."

Harry looked her in the eye, "You don't look fine. You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Something much worse." Lil chuckled.

Harry looked around hastily, "Oh God, he's not back is he?"

Lil was confused at first. "What?' She asked with furrowed eyebrows. She then realized the horror on Harry's face. "Harry, no. Not him, someone else that I consider much worse. You're fine; they mean you no harm, just me."

Harry's face softened then became confused, "What do you mean just you?"

Lil shook her head, "Nothing, don't worry about it."

Harry shook his head too, "No, what do you mean?"

Lil sighed, "Louis wants to protect you from people like me, he wants to make sure you stay with God and don't go back to that place that you were."

"He told me to stay away from you, why?" Harry asked.

Lil chuckled and started to walk around a bit, "He said that? Wow, he should know better by now. And all in good time Harry, you will know when you need to know, not now."

Harry scoffed, "I'm almost sick of hearing that."

Lil thought to herself about everything that had happened. She knew that Gerard wanted Harry's soul, and that she was supposed to be the one to deliver it, but she couldn't bring herself to break this boy down to a shriveled mess and whisper threats into his ear as he took his own life at the end of a rope, or a gun, or a cliff. It wasn't very often that a person stepped away from the edge of darkness. It was an extraordinary sight and something that, no matter how evil or demonic she was, she couldn't bring herself to kill. She turned to Harry, "You know what, I'm sick of saying it."

Harry looked at her confused, "What?" He was taken aback. This mysterious girl that he had just met a day ago, that was so cryptic it both intrigued and frightened him just completely changed her personality. Like she had just received a lobotomy of the conscience and was now becoming a real friend.

"I'll let you in Harry Styles, but under one condition." Lil bargained.

Harry laughed and rolled his eyes, he expected her to ask for something outrageous that he could either not provide or didn't want to, "What's that?"

"Take me to IHOP?" Lil asked.

Harry burst out in a fit of laughter, "Sure, after work."
*
Harry and Lil walked the mile to the only IHOP they knew of in LA. It wasn't very cold out but there still weren't a lot of people walking along their way. Lil turned so she was walking backward and facing Harry, "How was home life before everything changed?"

Harry smiled at the thought of home, "It was amazing. I worked at a bakery for a bit while I finished school. My parents divorced when I was young but it didn't really change my relationship with either of them. There was just less time with the whole family. My mum got remarried right before I moved out. I miss home so much."

Lil nodded understandingly, "Do you think about going home often?"

"Every day, some days I just want to hop on a plane and never come back, but then I'll have lost and if I lose I might as well have just jumped off that building." Harry replied.

Lil stepped in front of him and grabbed his jacket sleeve, "Hey, don't think like that. Sometimes the path we choose isn't always the right one, maybe LA isn't the place for you. Maybe you belong in New York or Seattle. Just not on that roof. Listening to God was the best thing you could have done for yourself."

"Maybe it wasn't God, maybe it was just me being a coward." Harry muttered.

Lil shook her head, "I told you he wants you because you have a light in you. Your soul wouldn't shine that bright if you were a coward."

Harry shrugged, "Maybe," he thought for a long second then he asked something he'd been thinking about for a long time, "Lil, can you see it?"

"See what?" She asked.

"My soul?" Harry replied.

Lil was unsure of how she wanted to respond to that, she wasn't ready to tell him how well she really knew Gerard, but she couldn't leave him hanging. So she just nodded.

"That must be cool, what does it look like? Is it an aura that surrounds me or is it something you smell?"

Lil was very surprised that Harry didn't ask how she could see it, but she wasn't going to push the matter, "It's like a light that i can see in you, but not just on a whim I have to be looking at souls specifically to see it, it's a light behind your eyes."

Harry nodded, "Like headlights?"

Lil laughed, "No, more like when I look into your eyes I see the universe in all its glory, I see nebulae and supernovas all spinning around a giant star. With others I see galaxies and small stars sustaining them, but nothing like yours."

Harry nodded once more and sighed deeply, they had arrived at IHOP and he was starving.