Chapter Twenty-Five

The beautiful serenity of the Meadow stood defiantly against the war between the Twins, and its very own wounds received when the Covenant Tree had been put to flame. North, north east of the Meadow stood the Maghtani Fort, defending itself against the armies of Ben-Kiêrre and their fort – the Fort Gersha only a few miles to the west.

Arsheen, son of Arshayn, defended the Fort Maghtani from the continuous onslaught of the Ben-Kiêrre legions. He knew Ben-Kiêrre would be relentless until the fort was utterly defeated, for Iza-Kiêrre was focusing mainly on the centre of the desert between the Twins, and he was now quite cut off from them.

After their defeat in the desert, Iza-Kiêrre retreated and many of their channels were closed, including the usual channels of supplying him with men and arms. The east was where he now would receive what he needed, but that was a much longer route and there were considerable delays.

He thought that it would be best for them to retreat and rather join the larger army, for that would – in his mind – be more advantageous to them all. The Maghtani Fort was the southern-most fort before the Meadow, and it seemed useless to him for it to stand. Defending the east and the north made more sense, for that would ultimately be where Ben-Kiêrre would be looking to assault next.

Defending the east would mean that Ben-Kiêrre could not encircle around them as well. But two things were important right now: firstly, whoever held Maghtani Fort held the Meadow. Secondly, he was to be watchful for the Outlanders and the warriors of Dernium who would take the road through the Meadow to journey to Iza-Kiêrre. These were his orders.

To do so, Arsheen had to regularly defend the roads to prevent both parties from being ambushed by Ben-Kiêrre. The Outlanders, he knew, had the most difficult task – for most of the western desert was in the hands of Ben-Kiêrre. But would Ben-Kiêrre take Outlanders captive? Surely not.

News had just reached him that Dernium warriors had been seen on the road, so he had sent scouts and some men out to give them safe passing. However, he did not know for how much longer he could hold the fort. And, once Dernium or the Outlanders arrived, he would still need to give them safe passage to Iza-Kiêrre. He imagined that would be tremendously difficult too. Then, he decided, would be the time he would abandon the fort.

Tarkanyon and the Outlanders, however, made significant progress through the west of Colone. After Altana had left, Tarkanyon saw the only solution was to leave Moyna and two others of his men at the villages. They were to restore order to the villages and appoint a leader, while sending messages to the king and the Monument to inform them of what had happened. The Monument would send more Outlanders to the villages and then Moyna and his team could return to the Twins. He had originally planned to leave Chrisolian in charge but changed his mind after hearing how the war was escalating so quickly.

Two weeks had passed since Ay's trial, and Tarkanyon was now close to arriving at the Meadow. They had been seen by Ben-Kiêrre a few times on their way through. That didn't worry him — in fact, he hoped this would happen, as Sephobwe might then come to meet him.

Cadell and his army were on their way to the Meadow as well, knowing they would probably reach it by nightfall. Cadell's eyes and scouts were very aware of the possibility of an ambush from Ben-Kiêrre, so it was his orders that they move as swiftly as possible. Despite being tired their hearts were encouraged. Thoughts of the many more battles to come once they reached Iza-Kiêrre were far from most of their minds.

His scouts had intercepted those of Arsheen's men. Arsheen had sent fifteen of the best men he could spare to guide and help them reach the Fort Maghtani. Cadell was greatly appreciative, although a little disappointed to hear the news of the current fort's condition. For, it seemed, they may have now fight their way through to Iza-Kiêrre. He was reassured, however, that if news reached Iza-Kiêrre of their arrival, Soilabi would do all that was needed to prevent them from needing to engage in battle with the Ben-Kiêrre armies.