Chapter Four

The rain came down heavily on the first night — so much so that they had to shout each other, competing against the clapping noise of the rain on the river. For the rest of the trip it rained on and off and remained overcast. Two days later they came around a very high cliff and suddenly the City of Restom entered their view.

Tarkanyon was standing at the bow of the caravel while the rain began to fall harder upon them again. He was unbothered with it.

"Restom, and not too soon," he grumbled.

Restom was built like a massive bridge connecting the immensely high canyon walls. The city itself was the bridge. It linked the land of Foré at its east end and the land of Rosia at its west end. In itself it was magnificent; another ancient city built in the age of the Genicoins, this time by men. The buildings and houses were never built very high and were made with mostly wood, light brick and stone. On either side of the city, on the land, were short walls, curving inward from the entrances of the city in a half moon shape, eventually meeting the canyon's walls.

Because Restom was not located in either Rosia or Foré but above the river waters, it had for a long time been an independent city. But it wasn't unable to sustain itself for very long and eventually fell under the rule of Foré.

As they neared the docks the captain took the wheel. The sails were lowered, the oars were out, and the caravel slowed down significantly. Underneath Restom was a complicated system of pillars – some made of stone, others made of wood. Navigating through these to the docks was a skillful process. The port was located underneath the city on the north-eastern side — it joined the exposed canyon walls on the other side of the city, making it easier for those coming from the north to dock than those coming from the south.

Tarkanyon always thought this was impractical. There were only scattered villages further north up the river, not grand cities like those to the south, where most of the traffic for trading was coming from. Not many ships sailed further north than Restom either, for there the river narrowed as it came closer to its source, which was the Great Mountains. But many said that there was a time where one could sail through the mountains in a passage, into Kelagot on the other side. Some believed there was once a city built into the mountains at the source of the river. Those who had travelled that far north claimed to see ruins.

As they passed under the city they lit all their lamps. There was the smell of damp stone and wood mixed with pungent spices. Lamps hanging on the pillars served as a guiding path for ships. Slowly the Milljata followed these. A similar rope and bridge system to the Monument's harbour allowed the city to keep the lamps burning.

The sound of the heavy rain could still be heard roaring in the distance and above them, although it was nothing more now than a deep rumble. The smells and the darkness became more intense as the ship passed silently between the pillars. It took about an hour and eventually there was a small cheer from some of the crew as they saw the sunlight from the other side. Other ships then came into view, some carefully sailing past the Milljata on their way out.

Chrisolian was now standing next to Tarkanyon, rubbing his beard.

"I wonder what surprises the governor will have for us," he said.

Tarkanyon grunted.

With the port located underneath the city, it was difficult moving cargo to the city above. For this reason, there were peculiar moving platforms that lifted and lowered animals and goods all day. These were controlled via an elaborate rope and pulley system.

A wide and winding staircase, chiselled and crafted into the canyon walls, was the path up to the top. An ingenious gutter system kept rain water from dropping off the edge of Restom in torrents. Waiting to greet them at the bottom of the stairs under a small covering was the governor of Restom, along with two of his soldiers, and a servant. He nodded as they approached, staying under his cover from the rain. Chrisolian gave Tarkanyon a raised eyebrow while rubbing at his stubble.