Chapter 4: The Evil Child

En başından başla

“N…nice!?” I stuttered, “They're insane! Who has parties until half five? I was contemplating whether I was going to do a nose dive out the window.” I muttered my eyes wide.

She laughed and slid the glass of orange juice across the island; I muttered a ‘thanks’ and took a small sip.

Smiling slightly, she took a long gulp of her drink before answering me, “I’m sorry about that, he’s not always like that. It’s just that something the kids like to have parties.”

Yeah. On school nights, because that’s normal.

I nodded showing I understood, “Still, it’s not nice for the neighbours.” I muttered as I shoved a piece of pancake in my mouth. “Is it always like that?” I asked as I was curious to find out about my next door neighbour.

She nodded “Sometimes.” My mouth fell open and my voice came out raspy.

“Sometimes, why do I get the feeling that was strained?” I squeaked, “Can’t you call the police, I’m sure they will do something about it.” I started and stopped when she shook her head and a hand up effectively shutting me up.

When she spoke, her tone had turned serious, “No.”

“No? Can’t you talk to their parent? I'm sure they will do something about it.”

She laughed as if she was been strangled by a cat, (I really don’t know how that is possible but let’s just pretend for now).

“Aunt June, first it was your eyesight and now you’re cackling, I’m kind of scared.” I half-heartedly joked making a smiled break out across her face. “Try not to worry about it Gwen, next time I will buy you ear plugs with cute little smiley faces on. Now, about today. I have work, but I don’t want that to stop you from exploring the town it’s not big and you can use my GPS- its names tom by the way so make sure you take care of him. Don’t look at me like that I won’t be gone for long, promise.”

I tilted my head to the side, “Can I ask what you do? For work I mean.”

Aunt June nodded and began tucking in the white button blouse into her black pencil skirt, “I work for a large company who specialises in the local area. As you would call it I work for the ‘top boss’, I’m his PA so I have a lot of responsibilities. If something happens today call me, if I don’t answer right away I’m either shagging someone or busy. Kidding.” I wiped the orange juice of my chin that had spurted from her mouth at her joke. “Sorry, but honestly their all fat and flabby, half of them are missing their hair. Oh, theirs this one guy, he’s called the ball scratcher, his wife buys him pants two sizes too small. Poor soul.” She sympathised and wiped a fake tear from her eye making me snicker.

She must have threatened the person to higher her.

She smiled brightly before picking up her keys that had been placed in the fruit bowl in the middle of the island. “Oh, one more thing. Something arrived this morning for you.” She smiled wide and I instantly dropped my knife and fork and stood up.

“What? What is it?” I asked, gladly accepted her hand that she held out for me.

She led me out the kitchen which led to the large entrance and there a door on the far left, there was shuffling as the room was dark and a chill ran up my arms and bare legs. I blinked when a dull hum settled through the room and a dull light flickered to life, illuminated the room.

There in the middle of the garage was my baby. It shinned dull under the artificial light but nothing could deny the beauty as it gleamed, the new shine thanks to the polishing it had received.

 “There was a delivery this morning for you, I was surprised to see what it was.” she shuffled to the side allowing me to have full view of my beautiful Aston Martin.