Scene 15: An Icy Family Reunion

Start from the beginning

"What about my father?" asked Starfire timidly. "What became of him?"

"Alas," replied Galfore sadly, "we have no idea. When one of us asked of his fate, Lord Trogaar only laughed and adjourned the summons. Since then, we have been forced to perform jobs of labor for the Citadel. There have been attempts at resistance, but all have failed. We feared this occupation would not end in our lifetimes."

Starfire shook her head. "I have come across entire lightyears to turn back now. I will no longer allow the Citadel to murder and rob our people anymore. The time has come for action to be taken once more."

Silence. The only sound was that of Krissand'r setting down glasses for them to drink. "Koriand'r, you are your father's daughter. This, there is no denying. But are you sure of what you are saying."

"I am," replied Starfire. "I have sworn to free my people, and I that is what I am going to do." She peered at the covered window. "But there is something I must do now."

She started to rise, and everyone else stood up too. "What do you think you're doing?" asked Nightwing.

"I must learn of my father's fate."

"But you can't go now," insisted Nightwing. "I know you want to know what happened to him, but it's too soon to think of doing that. What we need to do now is wait for daybreak and spread word of your return. You can't leave now."

"This is important," insisted Starfire throwing her cloak over her shoulders. "This is more than finding out if someone I love is still alive. My father has information concerning my sister. If he is alive, I have to get that information from him. I must know what caused her to change into a monster. It is of the utmost importance."

Starfire knew Nightwing meant well, but Starfire knew she had to do this. He looked like he wanted to protest more, but Jennifer grabbed his arm gently. "This is her choice. If she thinks this information will help liberate Tamaran, it would be a good idea for her to find out what she can."

To Starfire's surprise, Galfore nodded in agreement. "The girl is correct." To Starfire, he said, "If you believe this is right, if it is what your heart is telling you, then you must follow it. But you must promise to return here before sunrise."

Starfire nodded. "I will," then looking in every possible direction, she flew into the sky, making her way to the palace. She knew where she was headed: the dungeons.

She flew so fast, no guards sighted her. She entered through a tower window she knew would take her where she wanted to go. The moment she entered the stairwell, a guard spotted her.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" he called to Starfire. "It is past curfew. I'm afraid I'll have to take you into custody." He started to move in on her, but she launched herself at him. Like she had done recently to others in the last few hours, she held him pinned to the wall, forcing him to drop his weapon.

Lowering her hood, the guard stared at her face in astonishment. "I have a question for you," Starfire told him fiercely, "and you are going to answer it truthfully. Where are you holding my father?"

***

For nearly seven years, he had been held a prisoner in the darkest cell of his own palace. All this time, agents of Lord Trogaar would bring him news of what would be happening to his subjects. Knowing how deceptive the Citadel was, the Emperor of Tamaran never knew what to believe. However, he feared they had not been lying when they told him that Koriand'r, his pride and joy, had finally been executed.

When his cell door suddenly opened and a guard stepped in, he assumed Lord Trogaar had brought him another tormenting message. "Why have you come? What more can your master say to me that can demoralize me any further?"