Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Vanessa and I spent a few days working on getting the plan in order. She had requested that I play it cool with Crash, be nice to him, pretend as if I wanted him back and then dive into the whole Matt thing. I was nervous, yes, but I just really wanted Matt out and free.

"Where are we going?" I asked her. Tonight was the night that we would fulfill our plan. She had picked me up at 7 and now she was just driving around. I thought we were going to Crash's place but Vanessa had yet to ask me for directions to his place.

"We gotta pick up the camera and recorder." She announced.

I look at her, her dim face not too visible in the dark. "Where are we getting it from ?" I questioned.

She turned a corner and then pulls up to an apartment complex. She parks the car and then looks over at me. "Don. He asked his friend for them and surprisingly his friend agreed." she begins to get out the car but I stop her.

"Wait, since when did you become buddy buddy with Don again?"

She laughed a bit and smiles as she spoke. "We spoke, we hang out. We're something."

"What does 'something' mean?" I pestered.

She tilts her head and giggles nervously. "Like dating, you know."

"Oh, my gosh. Why didn't you tell me you guys were dating!"

"You've been so distant lately. Even before the whole Matt thing, you've kind of been distant and when he got arrested, it became worst. You ignored my calls, you never answered when I would come over. It was just so different to me the way you were."

I frown at her statement, knowing that she was stating facts. I had been distant to her and I had been dodging her. I should be ashamed that I would do such a thing to my best friend.

"Nessa, I'm super sorry for neglecting you like that. I just... I don't know. I didn't know who to cope with all the crazy stuff going around." I tell her. "I guess I felt alone in a way, but I caused my own loneliness."

She lets out a little nervous laugh. "True. And it's cool. I totally understand. Just don't ignore me ever again," She warned and we both laugh together. "Okay, wait for me here and I'll be back with the stuff we need." She said. I nod towards her, letting her know that I will stay put.

Vanessa leaves and I'm sat alone in the car, my thoughts flooding my head. I couldn't stop how nervous I was becoming. If Crash had the guts to set up his best friend, what would be next for me? Would he try to dog me out too? My palms were becoming sweaty as I thought about all the malicious acts that Crash could commit against me.

And.....and what about Matt? Was he telling me the truth about everything so far? I wasn't too sure about it but I wanted to believe him. I wanted to believe that he wouldn't lie to me. But he was hiding something. Something that was a huge part of his "truth".

I could see Vanessa leaving from one of the apartment doors. She had a huge goofy smile on her face with a small little bag in her hands. She scurries to the car, yelling something off her shoulder while still laughing. She gets in quickly and holds the bag in her lap. "Okay, I have two camera in here. Just in case one doesn't work." She announces. 

I smiled towards her and said, "Thank you so much, Nes. Most people wouldn't even do this crazy stuff." I tell her, seriously.

She laughed it off. "Hey, what can I say, that's what's best friends are for."

*****

We make it to Crash's RV in enough time to talk through the entire plan. The goal was to set the camera down and slowly talk Crash into speaking the truth. And if that didn't work, then we would have to try again. We didn't really have a stable plan B. The lights to his RV are turned on, so he should be in there.