How to Get Your Parents to Support Your Writing

So you know you want to be an author. Not just write for a hobby, but make it your career. Now what?

Share Your Dream with Your Parents

Chances are your parents will have to sacrifice a lot of time, energy, and money to help you pursue your dreams so it's a good idea to clue them in from the start. Be real with your parents and tell them why this is important to you, and when they try and dissuade you or discourage you, which they may at first if they think you can't reach your goals, don't attack, retaliate, or justify. Just listen to their concerns and hope by you showing them how serious and committed you are to your writing goals, that they'll come around. If they don't support you, hide your dream in your heart a little longer and continue to look for little signs that they're ready to support you.

Remember, even if you think you're ready to pursue your dreams, now might not be the right time to keep pressing your parents. Your family's support in reaching your writing goals is important, but sometimes parents need time to absorb the shock and weigh the cost. They want you to succeed, but sometimes it takes them longer to see your vision.

So what do you do while you're waiting for them to come around?

Prove to Your Parents this Dream is Important to You by Doing the Work

In the past they may have indulged your whims to take trumpet lessons or gymnastics only to have you quit after a couple of months. Maybe you've switched interests too often and never stuck with one thing. Whatever the reason for your parents' lack of support you need to prove to them that you're serious about being a writer.

Some of my children have goals of performing on stage and for TV and film, and they are gifted, but I'm not convinced they have the drive to make it happen. I'm the one who searches the Disney casting sights and when I've told my children to show me they were serious about acting by taking some classes (that they had to pay ½ for) or earn money for headshots, there was always some excuse or complaint. So I knew they weren't serious, and I'd be wasting my time to give my energy towards something they weren't willing to do the work for.

If you want to show your parents you're serious about writing, take the initiative and don't complain and blame them for not doing the work for you. Take writing classes with money you've earned. Join local writing groups and online groups like Teen Writers Publish! Research local writing conferences and listen to the podcasts here so when your parents ask if you can really make money at this, you can say yes. Then explain to them how. And write! Then take it one step further and finish your current novel. You can't succeed in this business if you don't have a finished novel. If you're parents see that you're serious and willing to do the work, they may just turn out to be your best ally.

Set realistic Goals

If you're an only child, your parents may be able to devote a lot of time to your dreams, but if you're not, then you have to be patient and realize not only will your siblings have their own dreams, but your parents' might have ones of their own. Be sympathetic and encourage your siblings and parents to pursue their dreams. Maybe even offer to help do something that brings them closer to fulfilling their goals. Paying it forward can go a long way especially when you need their help.

Whether now is the time to share dreams, or if you need to wait a little longer, there are still things you can do now to nurture your writing dreams. If you work hard at your goals little by little, you'll get there much quicker than by doing nothing. And when your parents see the progress you've made and your commitment to your chosen career, it will be easier for them to give you the support you need.