Chapter 3

"Alec," his father announced as he walked into the building, "you are late."

"Sorry," Alec starts to apologize, but his father suddenly cuts in. 

"Don't waste time apologizing, get to work.  You have to fax these papers-" he shoved a stack of paper into Alec's hands "over to the police chief, and the printer is out of ink- which we do not have any more of- so you are also going to need to run to a store and grab that, you need to take lunch orders, and then just do whatever it is you actually do."  Alec grabbed the papers and ran over to the fax machine.  Alec had always wanted to work for the NY detectives, and his father had told him that an internship would be the best way to go about that.  However it was rather annoying when his sister Isabelle came home from her summer job at Starbucks with paychecks, and Alec was constantly working with no pay.  He quickly ran the papers through the fax machine, and then headed over to the desk where the other intern, his best friend Jace, sat. 

"Hey Jace, I gotta go run out and get some ink cartridges.  While I go out and do that, can you watch the phone for me?"

Jace glanced up at him with his cold golden eyes and drawled out the words, "Okay.   But for the record, this job is not as fun as your parents made it out to be."

Alec pushed his hand through his hair and sighed.  "I know, but it'll open doors for us later on when we want to work as detectives."  Jace shook his head.

"Whatever."  Alec was minorly frustrated with his friend for being such a complete ass all the time.  Plus, it did not help that lately Alec kept noticing the way the light hits Jace's hair at just the right angle, and the way Jace's lips looked so soft, and just how the way everything about Jace looked so sexy.  Alec suppressed this thought.  I cannot like Jace this way, I will not like Jace this way, I cannot and I will not.  

****************************************************************************************************

Alec finished collecting the last of the lunch orders and headed out the door.  He double checked the list, looking at the places he'd need to go.  It looked like all he would need to do today is go to Chipotle and order various bowls and tacos. 

"Hey!" Jace called from behind him.  "Wait up!"  He caught up with Alec within two seconds, even though there was quite a distance between the two.  This however, did not surprise Alec because for as long as he'd known him, Jace was as fast as lightning. 

"I got us some free time for lunch today, and I figured we could go to Chipotle or something."  Alec shook his head.

"How did you even get us free time for lunch today?  My father gets upset when I'm two minutes late for work."  Jace gave Alec a devilish grin and shrugged. 

"So can we go to Chipotle?"  He asked, looking at Alec like a child begging for candy.  Alec sighed, knowing he would rather just stop at Starbucks so he could see Izzy and just quickly grab a drink, but how could he say no when Jace was looking at him like that? 

"Alright, but we have to order stuff for everyone there too."  They walked down to Chipotle, Jace chatting away about some band that's going to be playing at the club Pandemonium Friday night.

"I was thinking, maybe we could go with Izzy and just make a day of it, you know?  Like we could hang out all day until around six, then go out for dinner, and then hit the club.  You up for it?" 

Alec hesitated.  He did agree to meet that stranger- Magnus- at Starbucks at six but he knew probably nothing would, or could, come out of that.  Nothing could come out of it because the only one who knew of his sexual orientation was his sister, and if his father found out- well, things would not be pretty.  So dating was not really an option for Alec right now, unless Magnus was all right with keeping it secret.  However, Alec had never gone on a date with another guy before, and maybe now would be a good time to try it.  This will probably just be a one date thing, right?   Maybe he should just try it.

"I actually have plans for six- I could meet you and Izzy at the club later, if you want to try that?"

"Sure.  But tell me about these plans.  Are they with a lady?  You've never gone on a date before, so do you need any pointers?"

Alec laughed to cover up the fact that inside he was very uncomfortable with the way this conversation was going.     

"No, they are not with a lady.  I'm meeting up with a guy from one of my classes.  And how do you know I've never been on a date?" 

"Bro, you are hopeless with the ladies.  I wouldn't be surprised if you never went in a date with a woman." 

"Well it's better to be hopeless with them then to do whatever you do with them."  Alec argued with Jace. 

"Well, what do I do with them?  Jace asked his eyes slightly narrowed. 

"You never get attached to any of them.  You kiss them, you hook up with them, you lead them on, but when it comes down to it, you never actually date- or like- any of them."  Jace doesn't respond to this, he just sort of looks off into the distance.  The boys arrive at Chipotle, and they order a number of bowls and tacos for the office, and then two chicken bowls for themselves. 

"Alright, that'll be..." the red-headed girl behind the register frowns as she types the orders into the register. 

"Sorry about this, I'm new," she apologizes and grabs the boy next to her.  "Simon, can you help me?"

Simon gets the machine working, and Alec grabs the tray and turns to find a seat.  Jace however, does not follow him.  Instead, he turns to the red-head and says,

"Hey, what's your name?"

"Clary," she answers,, giving him a little smile.

"Clary," Jace responds, turning the name around on his tongue.  "Well, Clary, maybe I'll see you around." 

 Alec tries to ignore that this makes him feel like someone stabbed him in the heart it a pencil.