"I do not know. I have not seen him use any spells."

"But he possesses dragonblood." It was a statement, not a question.

"Yes, he does."

"Why are you not certain, then?" it was the question she feared the most but she answered it with very little hesitation: "I believe that he had gone through crystallization. His mana regeneration was practically destroyed and his whole system is a total mess right now." It was the truth, Faerendal had no doubt. This child feared for her life and it was under these circumstances that she was forced to reveal this much crucial information. "Did he visit any mana exorcists?"

"We are on our way to find the Cyan Nuns." Finally, she revealed the information she wanted to keep hidden the most for it had a direct connection to her. "And you know where they are." He was unfazed and Edrich almost jumped out of his chair when she nodded. He was the one who dragged her into this. He was the one to blame. Faerendal brushed his fingers through his thick hair and sighed.

"Okay, that's all I wanted." It was as if the room was a bottle of champagne that was suddenly opened- the anxiety that overtook the children just a moment earlier was almost instantly gone as the man switched into the 'nice, friendly wizard' mode from earlier.

"I apologize for making you betray your ally but it was necessary." He leaned into the back of the chair and breathed in. Kayla was the first to realize what just happened. "You're a twisted man, Faerendal." She has never, ever felt this much anger in her life. This man played her like a marionette attached to silver strings and available for anyone willing to pull them.

"I can't deny that, my girl. "

"Don't call me that."

"Well, I apologize, princess," he was angry now, too, even if only a little. What has she done? She took deep breath and focused on Edrich's heart that was beating faster than usual. His face was heated up and his fists were clenched- he was angry, too. "It can't be helped, though. I'll have a look at the documents you carry." He got up and picked up Edrich's bag. He instantly found the letter and the information about the Nuns and smirked after reading through them.

"Old man Hadvar never changes, huh, Dalraq?" He could already tell that the child despised the name but he had no other way to address him. "So you don't know even the tiniest bit of magic, do you? How do you expect to lead the life of a Wielder like that?" He was mocking him, laughing at him. Edrich did not care about how Faerendal was familiar with the man who took him in just a short while earlier so he was not bothered by it. "I bet he offered to enroll you in the Academy without even knowing what these marks meant."

"Could you please stop talking about these marks?" It was Kayla who stopped him from saying any more. "I do not know much about them and I do not think that Dalraq would want me to know any more." There it was again. That voice of hers, that calming effect he loved so much. It did not work as well as before but it made him feel better, even if just a little.

The wizard did not reply to that. The two did not know why he stopped talking for neither of them expected the words to have that outcome. A minute passed, then two, then three, yet he did not speak. When he did reply, his voice was but a whisper: "I have not been this jealous in a long time."

Both children were caught off guard. Jealous? Of what? "You may not have realized that yet, but the connection you two have is what is commonly known as 'friendship'." Was he mocking them again? How could these two children who were weary, exhausted from being betrayed time after time be friends? They were nearly strangers, too! How could he come to such a conclusion?

"I will not break such a bond. It is so rare for two as careful as you to find someone whom they believe to be noble and trustworthy to a certain extent, to put your neck on the line to avoid leaving them..." he looked at Kayla and Edrich took a sharp breath as he realized what the trial that the vampire went through was. 'She could leave, escape, but she stayed with me.' Was she stupid? He would not have done the same for her... or would he? He did trust her to nurse him back into health and she did trust him to get her away from the slavers alive...