"What is it?"

          "Do you think I'll still be a Scout?"

          "She asked me if I think she'll still be a Scout," I tell Erwin as he walks with me to our temporary rooms.

          "Of course she will be."

          "How?"

          Erwin is silent for a moment, but then finally replies, "We're talking to some engineers in the military. They think they may be able to create a prosthetic that will enable her to walk again, hopefully even run. That depends on her and her constitution though. She needs to be willing to put in the effort it will take to learn how to walk with the prosthetic."

         I stare at Erwin, a little shocked. I had no idea that they were even planning this. "Well, until then, who's going to be her replacement?"

          "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about that," he says, stopping outside his door.

          I raise an eyebrow at him. "What for?"

          "The Commander has decided that since you are her second-in-command, that you will be her temporary replacement."

          I shake my head. "No."

          Erwin furrows his brows. "And why not?"

          "I can't."

          "Of course you can. The Commander decided it himself, and I'm sure Verena wouldn't have any objections. She really trusts you, and-"

          "No, it's not about that. I'm just not a leader," I admit, interrupting him.

          Erwin stares at me for a moment, before saying, "Levi, I saw you when you were with Isabel and Farlan. I saw you in the Underground. You're a natural leader. You'll do fine." I am about to object again, when he smiles at me. "I'll see you in the morning, Levi." Then, without another word, he disappears into his room. The door clicks shut, and I let out a frustrated sigh. Damn you, Erwin.

                                                                                             ***

          The door clicks shut behind me, and I frown. Verena is asleep on the bed, her hair spread out on the pillow, her blanket kicked onto the floor. I cast a quick glance at her right leg. It is bandaged up to the middle of her thigh, nothing below the knee. It's weird seeing her like this. Walking over quietly, I bend down and grab the blanket. I cover her with it again, tucking her in. She shifts on the mattress, getting comfortable under the blanket. Her slender fingers clutch the fabric. I take a seat on the side of the bed, careful not to wake her. Her face looks peaceful, innocent. I lean down, my lips barely brushing against hers. I hesitate before pulling away. Pushing myself off the bed, I walk over to the chair beside the bedside table. Taking off my jacket, I drape it over the back of the chair and sit down. I lean back and gaze at Verena for a long time. My eyes start to close, and I don't stop them.

Verena's POV

          My body aches, and I stretch, feeling my toes wiggling. I can still feel my right foot moving. That's just so strange. Sitting up, I yawn. I turn to the bedside table, reaching for the glass of water, when I see Levi sitting in the chair beside it. His arms are folded, and his jacket is on the back of the chair. His head is slumped slightly to the right, and his eyes are closed. I can tell by his slow breathing that he's asleep. I stare at him for a moment, before swinging my legs over the side of the bed and leaning forward. My left foot touches the hardwood floor, steadying myself. My hand slowly reaches out to grab Levi's shoulder, and I gently shake him. His eyes open slowly, and he looks up at me.