Tears

Levi's POV

          The rumbling of the gate opening is deafening. Verena glances at me, smiles, and then turns her gaze forward again. For weeks we had been training- relearning and practicing the formation, constantly practicing with the 3-D maneuver gear, and so on. It was tiring, but Verena believes she has given the new recruits the best chance for survival. I glance around at our new squad- a group of shivering, overconfident, inexperienced recruits. Looking forward, I frown. I hope she's right.

          The Commander's loud voice rings out, "Let the twenty fourth expedition beyond the walls begin! Forward!"

          With that, we all take off, our horses' hooves pounding the ground as we race towards the world outside. I glance up again as we race through the open gate. Instead of seeing the stalactites like before, I see a canopy of trees as if I am deep within a forest. Then, sunlight and blue sky. Squinting, I gaze up at the sea of blue and white above me. A bird flies overhead, flapping its strong wings. I feel a pang of sadness, remembering Isabel and Farlan.

          "Uh, Squad Leader!" Hanna, one of the new recruits, calls out, breaking my train of thought. I look over at the young girl, and I see the worried expression on her face. She glances around nervously, her amber eyes wide.

          "What is it, Hanna?" Verena calls over her shoulder, never once looking back.

          "If we see a titan, are we to engage?"

          "We'll try to avoid it first, but if it is unavoidable, then yes, we may have to engage!"

          "Oh...I really hope we don't see a titan," she says in a quivering voice.

          "Looks like Hanna is scared!" Konrad, another new recruit, exclaims with a laugh, reminding me of Isabel. Hanna shoots him an angry look, but doesn't say anything. Konrad turns to Isidor, the quietest of the rookies. "How about you, Isidor? Are you scared of those dumb titans?"

          "Well...Uh..."

          "Oi! Eyes forward! Focus on the path ahead!" I shout sternly.

          Their mouths snap shut, and not one of them dares to talk for a long while.

          The formation has held up for almost an hour now, and we ride without any titan sightings. Everything seems calm. I can feel myself getting a little anxious. This isn't right. Someone should have seen something by now. Suddenly, as if on cue, red smoke shoots into the sky to our left. Then, another flare, closer now. Verena glances at me and nods. I pull out the flare gun, and I am about to load a red flare when suddenly, a black flare is shot into the sky. Then, another and another- until it reaches the squad that is supposed to be stationed between us and the outer left flank.

          "An abnormal...It looks like it's right on top of us," Verena says. Then, her head whips around, and she orders, "Quick, pass it on, Levi!"

          I load a black flare and raise the gun in the air. Just as my finger hits the trigger, a crawling titan springs out of the trees beside us. Verena quickly changes course, and we all follow her closely. The titan crawls after us, gaining speed. Damn, it's fast!

          "It's almost on top of us!" Alfonse, another rookie, yells.

          "I got it!" Konrad unsheathes his blades, and pushes himself up onto the saddle.

          "Do not engage!" Verena orders.

          Konrad ignores her. The cables spring forth, and the grapple hooks dig into the titan's shoulder. Konrad is off the saddle in moments, flying towards the titan. We all watch in horror as the titan stops abruptly and snatches him out of the air. Squeezing Konrad tightly in its fist, the titan bites off his upper body. Blood splashes all over the monster's face and the grass. Verena turns to me as the titan goes on to finish its meal. Her green eyes are narrowed, and I can tell she's hiding her tears.