Part 6: Beyond Magic?

Börja om från början

"There have to be three," Chloe started to pace, agitation in her manner, and she continued to waggle her finger at Swanson. "You know that. Any two would have done, but I improvised when these two came into the shop tonight. I knew I could get some of your old team here if I hacked their system."

"You changed Felix's record to show he was still alive and living here," Theo revealed he'd reached the same conclusion as Remy.

Chloe laughed then, a sound that was a world away from the flirty giggle she had used on him in the shop.

"It was so easy, much easier than breaking into that vault," she crowed. "And I researched you two, the great Haward twins, just in case it was you who came here, I was hoping it would be. Don't you think the taser was inspired – no magic, no mystic alarm call?"

It was never good when criminals did their homework, but keeping Chloe talking was the only plan Remy had and he was hoping Theo was coming up with something.

"Oh, and, please don't try using your magic, gentlemen," Chloe grinned at them again and swung Swanson's amulet that was around her neck: "I've learned quite a lot about magic too and there are protections in place."

Remy just had to try: there weren't many protections that could hold against his fire power. However, as soon as he tried to gather his magic, he felt his skin prickling and then a lance of pain shot down his spine. He gasped and let go of his intent. Theo was staring at him with an angry-worried frown as he tried to relax and his stomach turned when Holiday's voice cut the air.

"Child, we must begin!"

Chloe walked forward, hands held out, and she intoned, "Diablo, vien."

The magic in the room spiked and Remy sunk into his seat as slowly, the devil doll stood up out of its cradle. It was a very impressive piece of magic, animating the doll so precisely, but Remy had the same childish and slightly scared instinct to kick out at it. He could only watch as the doll bent down and placed the planchette on the board and then Holiday's voice was back.

"Diablo, will these three die this night?"

For a moment, there was nothing, and then Remy thought he saw an almost imperceptible wobble of the wooden pointer. Remy really did not want to watch, but he couldn't take his eyes off the thing as it gave another wiggle, bigger this time, making the hairs stand up on the back of his neck once more. Then he gritted his teeth as the planchette slid effortlessly across the board, landing, unsurprisingly on the 'Yes'. It was too much, Remy let out just a little of the panic that was rising in his belly and with it came magic. Pain came swiftly after it as Chloe's protections hit him and Remy cried out. The dagger of agony was so sharp it stifled Remy's wits for a moment, and when he came back to himself, his magic was gone.

Theo growled and pulled at his bonds, the anger in his eyes showing Remy that he was losing it.

"Chloe, stop this," Theo demanded. "The only person responsible for Felix's death is Raymond Holiday and he's dead. You don't want to kill, the board does."

Reason wasn't going to work, Remy could see that in the girl's eyes and she said nothing, just watching and holding Swanson's amulet as blue-white smoke began to rise from the board. However, his skin still prickling from the attack, Remy remembered the encounter that had given him goosebumps for a whole different reason.

"Felix!" he yelled, any thought of logic having drowned in the face of desperation when the board had begun to do its work. "Felix, please, help us!"

Remy tried to look away from the smoke and he broke free for a second, his gaze dancing around the room, but the effort made him gasp. Still, it was worth it, because, on the edge of his vision, he recognised the green glow from earlier. Struggling, he looked to Chloe and told her, "Felix."