Ch. 1

"Ms...?"

"Ms. Tomlinson. Please to meet you." Jay put her hand out and the Foster Care of Doncaster's head administrator shook her hand.

"My name is Tom. Pleased to meet you as well. Now," Tom walked over to his desk and sat down. He gestured to the chair in front of him and Jay took a seat. "we know you have been wanting to adopt-"

"I'm not sure I want to adopt this time Tom." Normally Jay would have met with her regular administrator, but he wasn't in at the time.

Tom pursed his lips and reached across the mahogany desk. He grabbed a manilla file and put it to face Jay. He gestured to the file and she picked it up. Curiosity made her open the file and stare at the sad eyes of the young lad, looking around the same age as her flesh and blood son. Her heart fell when she stared into the sad and soulless looking eyes.

"Ms. Tomlinson. We would like you to foster this kid. He's a very nice lad, just has had very terrible luck. Look," Tom sat up straight and leaned over his folded hands. "Harry is just going to be temporary, unless you change your mind. But, you were our best hope at finding him a temporary home so he isn't put into a group home." Jay looked up from the lad's face.

"A group home? He doesn't have any family? None at all?" Tom shook his head.

"No, no. He would've had his sister here but...she died when he was 3 from cancer." Jay's eyes fell to the young lad's face again. She contemplated it over in her head. Multiple times. "I know you don't really need another kid but we are begging you. Once he's put into a group home it's very unlikely that he'll get adopted."

"Alright. Of course I'll do it so that he doesn't have to go to a group home but, I make no promises that I'll adopt him. Just so we're clear." She stood and Tom walked her out of his office and down the hall to where a waiting Harry was sat.

"We are very clear, Ms. Tomlinson." Tom told her before he opened the door and introduced Harry to Jay. "Harry boy, this is Ms. Tomlinson." Harry looked up from his lap to see Jay. She gave him a smile which he returned.

"Hello, Ms. Tomlinson." Harry mumbled.

"Oh please, don't call me that Harry, it's too formal. Call me Jay." Harry grinned.

"Okay Jay." After the paper work was done, Harry was in Jay's car going to his new foster home. He nervously bit the inside of his cheek trying to calm his nerves. Jay had glanced over at the lad and worry filled her already tired body. She knew Harry was gay as was her son, Louis. She knew that as soon as Harry met Louis a big talk would have to happen. She didn't want them to get the idea of dating, even when Louis was almost 18 and Harry isn't even considered her son.

Jay pulled into the driveway and parked the car. She removed the key and looked over at Harry who was staring up at the big house. A smile found it's way onto her face as she gazed at Harry. Harry turned to her.

"Welcome to your new foster home Harry." He gave her a big grin, trying to hide the fact that he's a little let down he wasn't adopted.

"Thanks Jay, really." She chuckled.

"Stop thanking me Harry, I wouldn't have let them take you to the group home." She crinkled her nose. "It's a horrible place."

Harry smiled as Jay got out of the car and grabbed one of his bags. Harry took a nervous breath and opened the door. He grabbed his other bag and walked to the front door. Jay pulled out her keys and opened the front door. The sound of sock covered feet running across floors could be heard from the doorway.

"Louis, Lottie, Tasha! Can you come down here?!" Jay yelled up the stairs as Harry entered over the threshold. Harry dropped his bag next to where Jay placed his other one and stood awkwardly in the entryway. Three people came running down the stairs. They stopped in front of their mother and stared at Harry.