Chapter 4 - Mum

The officer opened Peytlin's bedroom door. I peeked my head in and immediately brought it back out. I began to cry. Luke brought my head into his chest.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

We walked into the room, and there was Peytlin, on the floor by her desk, dead. She had a bullet in her head. He shot her.

I was so shocked and scared. I had no idea what was going on. This was so heartbreaking for me to see. My little sister was like a best friend to me. I broke down crying, bawling, sobbing, screaming.

"NOO!!" I cried. Only if we would've never called the cops.

Luke cried beside me. He was friends with me, and he was with us the day my mum had Peytlin. He was close to her too. She was like his little sister. He cried beside me, hugging me.

*Third Person POV* (Before the cops came)

The cops arrived at the house, and Mitchell (their dad) began to freak out. He grabbed a gun, then ran up to Eleanor's room, only to remember she wasn't there. He slammed her bedroom door shut, almost breaking the door off of its hinges.

He ran over to Peytlin's room, still holding his gun. He opened her door quickly and aimed the gun at her head.

"You told someone. Or called the cops!" He exclaimed.

"I-I didn't-" she tried to defend herself, but he pulled the trigger.

A bullet was lodged somewhere in her brain, causing her to die instantly. She fell over, landing right in front of her desk.

*Eleanor's POV*

I didn't know why this had to happen. I told Luke something was going to happen to Peytlin. I just knew it.

"I killed Peytlin," I cried into Luke.

"You did not, Eleanor. It's not your fault," he soothed.

"We called the cops. He most likely shot Peytlin, thinking she was the one that told somebody. I guarantee you that's what happened. I killed her, Luke. I'm telling you."

"Stop saying that, El. It's not your fault at all!"

I couldn't help but feel bad for what happened. I felt responsible, since I was the one that told, and not her. I should be dead, not her. I should be the one dad got mad at, not her. I should be the one that got shot, not her. This should've been me. She got punished for my actions. I wanted to scream so loud right now.

The good thing is that my dad is being taken to jail. Where will I go, though? My mum lives forty-five minutes away. She, of course, lives out of my school district. I've already lost Peytlin, and my dad went to jail. I'm not losing all of my friends.

I know one girl my age who lives near my mum. I hardly know her though. I met her when I was seven, and I haven't spoken to her since, so I don't know if she still lives around my mum, because she might've moved.

"Where will I go?" I was still sobbing.

By now, the officer had taken Peytlin's body away for testing. She brought in a body bag and took her away. I tried not to watch. I didn't want to. That was my baby sister there, my second best friend, the girl who suffered abuse with me, the one who always told me not to cut even though I would anyways. She was so important to me. I wish I would've told her that more often.

"You could live with me? I wouldn't mind. But what about your mum?" He asked.

"She lives forty-five minutes away and in a completely different school district. I don't want to live with her."

"Well, you should call her to tell her what happened and to see what she thinks."

"I can't tell her," I thought about breaking down while talking to her. She wouldn't be able to understand me at all.

"I could tell her," he smiled bright at me as I looked up at him.

"You would?"

"I will. Can I see your phone?" He asked. He knew my mum didn't know his number and wouldn't answer if it was somebody she didn't know.

He found my mum in the contacts, then clicked on her. It immediately started dialing her number and called her.

"Hello? Mrs. Valentine? Er, sorry, I mean Mrs. Holland.." I heard Luke say to my mum.

"Luke?" my mum asked after Luke put her on speaker.

"Yeah."

"You're calling from Eleanor's phone?"

"Yeah, and um, I have something to tell you."

"You're not trying to prank me, are you?"

"No. This is one hundred percent serious. I promise you. I swear."

"Okay, what is it?"

"Mitchell got arrested."

"For what?"

"For abuse."

"Abuse? On who?"

"Eleanor and Peytlin. It's been going on for nine years, and he threatened to kill either or both of them if they told anyone. That brings up the next thing.. When the cops came, Eleanor was at my house since we had called the cops from there, but Peytlin was still at the house. Mitchell thought Peytlin had told someone, so he-" Luke was cut off by him crying, "he shot Peytlin. Right in the middle of the forehead."

He sniffled a few more times before she responded with, "no. You're kidding, I know it. Don't scare me like that!"

"I swear to God, I'm not kidding," by now, he was completely engulfed in tears.

"Luke.. Please tell me it's not true," she began to cry.

"You can come here. I promise you, I would never scare you like this just for a prank."

"I'm leaving right now," she told him, and I could hear her grabbing her keys and running towards her car, then getting into it and starting it.

"I'll be there in thirty minutes. I'm getting there as fast as I can, I promise."

"See you soon," I said to her before we hung up.

I looked at Luke and broke down crying again. This was terrible. I never imagined this would happen..