Chapter 24 - Joan Maddox

Start from the beginning

"Oh," Gareth murmurs. His reaction confuses me, but I don't ask him if somethings is wrong. He tries to grab another piece, using the new knowledge I've given him and seeming to have a better hold of the piece, but after he bites it this still falls. "I'm hopeless," he says and now I'm the one chuckling.

"Practice makes perfect, don't worry." I smile at him and he returns the gesture before we keep eating.

For the rest of the evening we keep a casual conversation that ends up in how fast time has passed and how we are close to finish the shooting. Soon we'll enter the post-production stage and I'm very excited about this, also terrified.

"You'll do great. Or at the very least, you'll do your best," he reassures me and I smile, feeling grateful that I have few people who actually believe in me. I wish I had that confidence myself, though. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to be certain of my own skills.

⋙⋘

A few days later on set, something I never expected happens. Drew, Gareth's manager, comes rushing to the actor's side, who is about to shoot his next scene. I don't know what he tells him but Gareth expression changes completely, from the very impassive mask he was wearing, everyone could read the surprise and delight that now sparkle in his eyes. Whatever he was told it must be a good news. I notice he's about to rush outside, but Jerry shouts his name, reminding the actor he has work to do. If Gareth wasn't as professional as he is I'm sure he would totally flip the director off and run wherever he wants to go, instead he just tells something to his manager and goes to scene.

Confused, I watch around, trying to understand what's going on. I even follow Gareth's manager with my eyes but he disappears. I have to shrug my curiosity and focus on what I came to the set for, which is to supervise the progress of the production. I get even more impressed when I see Gareth acting the part so well, even if he was so anxious before. I'm sure his mind must be still on whatever his manager told him, but he is still able to become Sasha and leave everything else behind.

At some point, someone taps my shoulder and I have to take my eyes off of the scene being shot. I turn around to find Drew and a woman standing by his side. She must be around my Mum's age, maybe a bit older, with raven black hair, warm brown eyes and wide smile that show not only a radiant personality but deep laughter lines that talk about a happy person, optimistic and bright.

I bow my head immediately in a greeting, my natural instinct with any older person, a sign of respect. "Miss Tachibana, this is Joan Maddox, Gareth's mother. She came to see Gareth and offer her greetings to the cast, but he's busy. He told me to leave her with you while he's busy shooting. He'll join you once he's free."

My eyes widen in surprise and my whole body tenses in expectation and anxiety. Gareth's mother smiles brighter, holding up her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Ann, right? You're the producer, aren't you?" she asks as I shake her hand. "Drew was explaining that to me."

"Yes, I'm Ann Tachibana. Nice to meet you..." I leave the sentence hanging because I'm not sure how to address her. I can't call her Mrs Maddox because for what Gareth's has told me, she's never married. Can I just call her Miss Maddox?

"Please, just call me Joan. Gareth has told me a lot about you, the young producer," she comments, making my eyes widen even more.

"I'll leave her with you, Miss Tachibana. I need to take care of some calls," Gareth's manager speaks before I can reply. Both Joan and I nod our heads in understanding and he leaves us.

"I hope you're not worried I'm the one in charge," I say, but in my head the proper adjective is disappointed.

"Oh, not at all. I trust Gareth and he says you're working harder than any other producer he's met, which is so remarkable for a young lady like you," she compliments and I think I'm blushing.