Chapter Six

Merlin's POV

I stumbled as I got up from the table crashing straight into a rough looking guy now suddenly annoyed that I had disrupted him.

"I'm sorry," I mouthed at him. He eyed me up, I know he wants to punch me but he went back to drinking ignoring I had crashed into him.

I continued towards the bar. "I want two more mead please?" I ask the man at the bar.

"You sure you can handle it?" he asked.

"Sure I can," I cheered loudly. He poured two more and put them on the top. I give him the money and stumble back to my table part of my drinks going over the floor.

I slump in the chair and start to drink one of them and I drink it all down in a couple seconds. I look around the bar and laugh at how stupid I feel right about now.

Drinking alone, drowning my sorrows and for what? For a women I haven't seen in over a year. A women who I fear is out to destroy mine and Arthur's relationship. That can't happen. Arthur is my destiny but more importantly he is my best friend.

Maybe we had our ups and downs. Arthur and I but its good now. Almost. Apart from my lies, the sneaking around. I just needed to get out from the castle and enjoy myself away from all the royal stuff I have to deal with from now on.

"Ah look who it is. It's Mer..," Gwaine didn't finish his sentence as he crashed into the table collapsing at my feet grinning from ear to ear. I guess he is half gone or maybe all gone. Who knows. Who cares.

"Gwaine," I mumble looking at my now empty second glass of mead I didn't get to drink. I glare at Gwaine in slight disappointment.

"No worries," he burps, "I get us way more," he winked at me.

I let him buy the drinks over the next couple hours until I knew I couldn't drink no more. My head is swirling, banging and I can barley see anything as I get up from the table and nearly fall over.

I walk towards the exit of the Tavern, Gwaine following close behind me. "You want me to take you back to Gaius's," he said managing to speak normally.

"Sure," I mumble.

Gwaine suddenly dropped to the floor and moments later I hear him snoring. I go to approach him but I stop as I find Morgana looking at me hiding around from the corner.

"Is this what you do? Drink your nights away? What has happened to you Merlin? Is this Arthur's doing?" she questioned.

"No...of course not. I can't stop thinking about you. Worrying about everything. It helps to forget," I tell her.

"You look awful. You can't expect to carry on like this. Come with me Merlin. For one night. One night let me enjoy the way we use to be. Me and you. Nothing else, no one else. Forget Gwaine. Forget Arthur," she said offering out her hand.

I look at her, to Gwaine fast a sleep on the ground and then back to her and I take up her hand knowing full well I wouldn't of made it to Gaius's chambers anyway, not on my own.

I let her half lead, half drag me out of Camelot into the forest and I didn't pay much attention until we reached a tiny hut hidden behind some tall trees. She pushed me inside and helped me laid down in the small bed at the back of the crowed hut.

She helped me out my jacket, my boots and my neckerchief before running her hand through my hair. "You need to sleep this off," she whispered getting in next to me.

My eyes hurt, I couldn't think straight or see much either. I felt her lips on mine and I felt the warmth between us but after that I slipped away. Away from her, away from the world into a deep sleep full of nightmares.