Chapter 15 - Mind over matter

Start from the beginning

"Dearest Emmy, shit no! Dear-Urgh! Fuck! Em...Emmy...Emma? Fuck it!" His masculine form whirled around so quickly that he forgot he was stood next to the bed post; of course, he smacked his head against the pillar, sending him into incoherent curses that had me biting my tongue to stop the laughter. I watched as he rubbed his head, almost pouting as he looked at the ring. He sat down on the bed, and sighed.

"Shit. How am I ever going to do this when I can't even get the right words to come out of my mouth? " He plucked the picture that stood on the bedside table and brought to his lap, his finger traced the picture of the both of us at my graduation. That was the day I was ready to tell him I loved him. He looked almost sad, as if the words he wanted to say where betraying him. Poor baby.

"I don't even know how I ended up on that pier with you that night, but I will thank the gods for the rest of my life that I did. I am one lucky son of a bitch, I'll tell ya. I've never felt anything like it before -that pull. I remember I saw you on that pier, with your head in your hands, and I felt like I had to do anything to see you smile. It's a beautiful smile, one that I want to see every single day for the rest of my life," he breathed out a heavy sigh that had my stomach plummeting to the ground. His words called to me, sung to me, soothed me and caressed me. This was a Marc I hadn't seen before - a vulnerable Marc. "I've never had the privilege to fall in love before. Shakespeare talks about that crap all the time, but I...I...I get it, you know? I get how one man can make a fool of himself for a woman. I get how one woman can be so perfect for one guy - and I guess, sometimes, I feel like I don't deserve you. I'm not perfect, but...I wanna try. I wanna be that person you wake up to every single morning. I want to follow you to the ends of the earth and back. I want to hold your hands when you give birth to my kids, and I want to tell you that you're the most beautiful thing in the world to me. And you are. From the first moment I met you, I knew that I would never, ever, see something as beautiful as you; I want to spend the rest of our lives telling you that - till we're both old and grey, I want to tell you that I love you, beautiful..."

Oh my god. This was it! This was IT!!!

"Em, Emmy, my Emma - marry me." He whispered, unknowing that I stood in the corner of the room, no longer standing with the urge to laugh. In fact, it was quite the opposite. It was a cathartic moment; no other moment in time had that effect on me, to make me feel like I had just found the purest of human beings in this world. He was it, Marc was it. He was everything that I had wanted, everything that I had dreamed of and thought I would never have.

My own thought process had turned to mush visions of children and white hair plagued my mind. I never had a chance in hell at stopping my mouth.

"Yes." I whispered - only, it wasn't a whisper. I slammed my hands over my mouth in horror, eyes widening in shock when Marc jumped up from the bed, with the frame in his hand as his weapon.

"What the fuck?" He yelled, catching my sheepish look. "Em?" His head shook, as if trying to understand what was happening...before his face fell in horror. "How long have you been standing there?" He asked.

Lie.

No, I couldn't.

"Long enough to feel like I should tell you that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness."

Marc groaned before he stepped to the side and collapsed onto the bed, with his hands covering his eyes in that dramatic fashion. I crept out of my corner and walked forward, slowly.

"If you want I can go back out and then come back in and you can start all over again." I offered, fitting myself perfectly in between his legs.

He groaned again. "You heard everything?"