Chapter 25

Unedited.

Tried not to make this so long. I got a comment on another story that it can get boring and, honestly, I have to agree. This isn't too short but not too long. Hope you like it.

_________________________

   Rebecca felt herself flailing wildly, arms and legs kicking in every direction. She was surrounded by darkness. Freaked out she tried to reach for something, anything. It was hopeless. She just felt air around her — cold air that whipped around her painfully. In the end, all she did was flail blindly, speed picking up. She had no idea how long she'd been falling. It could've been a few minutes, it could've been hours.

Why? Why had she been stupid enough to do this? she wondered, her fear turning into self-hatred. She was afraid of heights. Driving over a bridge in a car terrified her. And she'd jumped down a hole, without knowing how deep it was. She didn't even know what would meet her at the bottom. A concrete wall? An ocean? Nothing?

Self-preservation had yet to kick in. The smart thing to do was to stay still and not panic or flail around blindly in the darkness. If she was screaming she didn't even know. She could hear nothing but the wind whipping around her like a roar, so loud it was almost deafening. It felt like she was falling and she'd never stop.

Mikael. This was all his fault.

She was going to hurt him if she survived this — though she wasn't very confident she'd actually survive. How successful she'd be was in doubt, but she wouldn't stop trying until he felt the fear she did now. Rebecca didn't care if it took hours.

She kicked her foot out, catching nothing but air—

"Reach out!"

She jumped, looking around frantically, before she realised it was pointless. Darkness surrounded her, there was no chance of seeing anything.

"Damn it! Quit screaming and reach out!"

Mikael. The voice definitely belonged to him. And it sounded close. Frantically, she tried to find her voice, though it seemed impossible considering she was still falling. "Mikael! Where are you? I can't see!"

"Reach out!"

I am and it's not doing anything, she thought. It wasn't so much as reaching out, as it was flailing in fear though. "Tell me where you are! I can't see!"

She heard a frustrated sigh. "Oh, for god sakes . . ."

When something gripped her ankle, she screamed loudly, kicking wildly. Everything seemed to stop, her sense of vertigo dissipating. She drew in panicked breaths, throat raw. "Mikael!" she yelled desperately. Her voice seemed to echo loudly. "Help me!"

Again there was a sigh. In the darkness she tried to find him, but it was pointless. One second he was to her left. The next to her right. Pinpointing the actual direction was pointless—

"Shut up and quit screaming. I've got your ankle."

Rebecca glanced around. "What? Mikael?"

Mikael sounded bored and more than a little frustrated. "I've got your damn ankle. Now stop screaming."

Rebecca shut her mouth, completely unaware she'd been screaming. "Where are you? I'm not touching the ground, in case you haven't noticed," she said quickly, voice desperate. She was dangling in thin air. Mikael could drop her. Any minute now.