The Principles of Byun Baekhyun

Start from the beginning

He assumed that the giant was still trying to crack jokes because although Baekhyun had gone to ignoring him, the male's deep alto voice could still be somewhat heard through the screaming music in Baekhyun's ears. When the muffled voice of the giant stopped, Baekhyun silently thanked the gods above and waited patiently for the male to silently remove himself from Baekhyun's space bubble. However, the shadow over him never left.

His eyes were on the table as he idled with his cellphone, but then the giant's hand slipped into his view as he slide a note to the introvert.

I want to go on a date with you, it read.

"No." The answer came immediately. "Please go away," Baekhyun added as he pushed the note away.

A few seconds later, he could still see the giant standing over him, until suddenly, a hand came down and gently tugged his left ear bud out. "I'm Park Chanyeol," the male introduced. "I'm on the basketball team."

As Park Chanyeol introduced himself, Baekhyun tuned him out, internally gagging at what he thought was the basketball jock trying to brag his way into a great first impression. And although he was sort of interested in what the guy had to say, overall, the amount of care Baekhyun had for the joke that kept dragging on was bland and dry.

In the middle of the giant's hearty introduction, Baekhyun looked away and stood up, halting Chanyeol from continuing on. When the jock's smile faltered for a moment to awkwardly ask the brunet where he was going, Baekhyun made no response, promptly took his phone and left the classroom.

-

-

After the break confession, Baekhyun tried to recede back towards himself. It wasn't really every day that he got confessed to, but in the end, he already knew it was one of those things where people dared one another to confess to the odd man out of the crowd. It wasn't the nicest thing to do and it was part of the reason why Baekhyun hated school more than Hell itself. And as he tried to repress the event that had happened back in the classroom to the back of his heavy mind, he changed the song on his phone and slipped back into wilful indifference.

Prior to his knock in with the giant raven-haired basketball player, Baekhyun never paid much attention to the giant enough to actually notice him. However, ever since then, he started taking note of the male more than he would have liked. In the hallways where he would sometimes sit against the wall and play online checkers with strangers, he began to see the giant frequent the area as he talked and conversed with boys and girls alike.

Chanyeol was a social butterfly, but what Baekhyun couldn't understand was why he couldn't be a social butterfly in other areas where he, Byun Baekhyun, was not present. All too often had Baekhyun felt himself being paranoid and he hated that. As much as he enjoyed focusing on himself, he hated the feeling of paranoia just for the fact that it emphasized the selfishness in him that thought that all of a sudden, the entire universe began to revolve around him.

He had let the hallway events slide. For all he knew, the jock could have always been there prior to his confession and Baekhyun (always busy on his phone) just never noticed.

The introvert kind of wished he'd stop noticing the giant. By the third time that he accidentally made eye contact with Park Chanyeol, he decided to relocate, moving to the stairs where people rarely ventured to as opposed to the hallways during class breaks.

-

-

There weren't many people that Baekhyun considered as "friends", but there was Kyungsoo. The fact that they were friends was sort of comedic in the sense that people often thought they were the polar opposites of one another, but in reality, Kyungsoo was just as pessimistic and hateful of everyone around him as Baekhyun was. The student body president was the best damn actor the brunet had the best luck of ever befriending.