It was early in the morning when we woke up, gunshots being heard. We all gathered on the porch to see my brother running down the road, a cloth sack in his hand.

He had robbed the town bank.

Just before he reached us, he fell, a bullet digging into his shoulder. A police man had shot him, and my parents must have thought him dead, because I never thought they would do what they did next.

They pulled me inside the house, and both ran out, rifles in their hands. For the next hour all I heard was gunshots, but all I could do was cower in my room.

Later that day, when all the sounds had ceased, I crawled out from under my covers and exited the house. I found my brother, mother, and father sitting on the porch, completely fine and unharmed. I couldn't say the same about all the officers. I had never seen so much blood before, not did I expect to, to see the grass stained with crimson.

We sat there, quiet, until well around noon. My parents told me of how each of them had been shot many times, but never hurt. They said slight pain was present, but it was never unbearable.

My parents, being wise and more experienced than most, knew what this meant. We were immortal. And it wasn't long before we knew it was from the tree.

At first we liked the idea, and for the first couple of years it was ok with us... but when my dad's best friend and the people closest to him began to age and die away, he found it torture to watch. He didn't want people to suffer like us, and he found that death was better than eating the fruit. So he knew what he wanted.

Revenge on the tree, to protect others from a life like ours.

That night... The night my uncle died at age 86, while my dad was still 42... He decided enough was enough. He didn't want to suffer. He took us out into the woods, and we watched in horror yet fascination as he went on a rampage, and went on to destroy the beautifulness of that clearing...

... We watched as he burnt the tree to the ground, smothering himself in ashes.

As the fire spread from the trunk up to the branches, the tan wood tinted gray, like it was turning to stone before it caved into a hollow center. The fire created a vortex engulfing the now dull tree like a hurricane, and as each leaf touched the flame it glowed white before it faded to black ashes. We stood there for what seemed like hours before we were in a slightly bigger clearing, black all around us and moonlight shining down on a blackened stump. Ashes flowed through the air, being carried away by the wind, but leaving us behind. It was a clear night, but we saw that destroying the tree did nothing.

My father, now covered in black soot, cried.

The moonlight reflected off the small, clear stream that still flowed nearby, the blackened roots still sticking into it, and it was a clear but silvery color, rushing gently but steadily by. That little stream... The tears of the immortal family.

There wasn't much difference between the two, not one that I could see.

My family left, but I waited behind. As a teenager, I didn't at all hate the tree. I didn't really understand why father did what he did. I was stupid back then. I told them I would catch up, and I went to the stump alone. Inside it was a small, round, and glossy object. Picking it up, tingles spread through my arm and it glowed faintly. It was somewhat moist in my hand. It was a seed.

Being different and curious, I hid it and never told my father. He would have surely taken it. I put it in my pocket and ran away from the clearing, not looking back.

Standing here in the night, looking at this place and thinking if the past, somehow strangely calmed me. I think of the seed now, hidden in a glass bottle at the bottom of the lake near our house. It was safe. People were safe from immortality. What purpose did I have left? What was I so pose to do with my life?

I sighed and found myself very tired, and it was as if a wave had just crashed down on top of me. I turned around and began walking. I needed to go home, to be with my family, as it was all I have. Suddenly I heard a faint noise.

Startled, I looked up and around for the cause of the noise. I couldn't believe what I saw.

A young boy, looking to be at least seventeen, was leaning against a tree, sobbing loudly. I wondered what to do, so I found myself sneaking up to him. I hid behind a tree, yet I knew I should do more.

I stepped out of the shadows, and his head quickly snapped in my direction. And my heart stopped.

This boy was gorgeous, and I felt my heart tug in my chest. He had oak brown hair and his eyes were beautiful in the dim light of the night. The moonlight reflected off his pale face, and it made his tears glisten. I couldn't take my eyes away, I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything. It wasn't long before confusion entered his eyes, and he spoke to me, in a deep, worried, and somewhat frightened voice.

"...Who are you?" I felt myself slowly become able to move, and I blinked before I responded.

"It doesn't matter... I couldn't help but notice you over here..." My voice trailed off, and I waited. He soon seemed to understand.

"Ryan... My name is Ryan" I smiled. That was a rather handsome name.

"We'll nice to meet you, but..." I couldn't help the curious tone in my voice, and I really hoped I wasn't bothering him.

"... But what are you doing out here?"