Once I realised I was just being paranoid earlier and didn’t actually have anything to worry about, I quickly flung my kit on and walked back into the changing rooms, where Mr. Baker had already started telling everyone what he had in store for us today.

  Mr. Baker is and always will be my favourite teacher. The main reason is because he’s the only teacher here who likes me, but there are other reasons. For one, I'm sure he has a soft spot for me, he once caught me smoking behind the bike sheds at the back of the yard, and although he had a right go at me, he said he’d keep it between us as long as it doesn’t happen again. But, I learnt a while ago that teachers don’t mean ‘don’t do it again’ they mean ‘you can do it as much as you like as long as you don’t get caught’ well, at least that’s what I think.

  “It’s nice of you to finally join us, Mr. Mondale. Would you like to tell us where you’ve been?”

  “No, Sir,” I smiled. I love it when they ask you a question instead of just telling you to do something, and I love the look on their faces when you do what they wanted and answer them.

  “Wait outside,” he hissed at me. They’re always a lot more direct after I act like that with them.

  Mr. Baker came out to me as soon as he’d told the rest of the class what we were doing, he then sent them to go and get everything set up on the field.

  “What’s up with you, Zack?” He asked in the friendly voice that he usually uses when it’s just me and him.

  “I don’t know,” I mumbled, ashamed that I couldn’t give my number one teacher a good enough answer.

  “Has something happened at home?”

  Yes, a hell of a lot has happened at home actually.

  “No,” I whispered. “Everything’s great, Sir.”

  Another reason I like Mr. Baker is because he doesn’t do the whole shouting thing with ne, unless he has to. He likes to think that there’s a reason behind everything I do and since he’s my form teacher and has been kind of worried about me since he caught me smoking, he’s always extremely determined to get to the bottom of whatever’s that’s bothering me.  

  “What made you want to change in the toilets?” He asked.

  I wasn't too sure how he knew that, seeing as he wasn't in the room when I left, but then again, some of the jealous creeps in this year have it out for me and were probably talking about me loud enough for Sir to hear. I hate it when that happens, I end up in trouble whenever a rumour goes round about me, whether it’s true or not. I can’t really blame them though, I'm the guy all of the girls want, so no one else tends to get a look in, it’s too bad that I’d rather be in their shoes, not having random squealing girls begging to be with me.

  “Well?” he asked.

  “Oh...” I started feeling really uncomfortable then, but I had to tell him something. So I decided to spill something that was partly true. “I just felt... weird.” He gave me an odd look and I knew he’d rather I elaborate. “I felt like everyone was staring at me and it made me want to throw up.” He nodded at me like he understood.

  “Zack,” he sighed. “You can’t just walk out like that. Imagine if this was a lesson other than PE, if someone was looking at you would you just get up and walk out?”

  Walking out of a maths lesson isn't exactly the same as getting changed in a different room to everyone else, but I did get what he was saying.

  “PE’s a lesson like all of the others, and you can’t just leave whenever you feel like it. Next time, if you feel so awkward that you can’t change, tell me and I’ll let you use my office.”