Chapter Four

When I walk into art class I start to head over to my usual table, but Newt motions for me to sit next to him in the back corner.

I immediately get butterflies in my stomach. I was already nervous to see him, and now I'm going to sit next to him.

I sit down, give a casual hey and start to take out my sketchbooks and pencils.

"Hello, love," he replies in his adorable accent.

I'm just starting today's assignment—draw anything in the classroom—when Newt finally stops avoiding the obvious.

"How are you feeling?" He asks not looking up from his drawing.

"Fine," I answer.

At last he looks up. "Y/n I came to school everyday waiting for you to return just wondering if you were okay. I've been really worried. Please answer me. Are you alright?" Newt asks very seriously.

I have to think hard about my response, he isn't going to settle for a one word answer. "Under the circumstances, I'm doing great," I settle on at last.

We sketch for a few more minutes, I'm almost done drawing the plant at the front of the room when he says something again.

"You aren't going back at lunch, are you?" He blurts out.

"He doesn't know I'm back at school yet but you know I'll have to when he does, Newt. If I don't go he'll find me in the halls or after school where there will be a crowd to watch, it's better this way," I say.

I can't look at him, can't see the disappointment on his face. I keep drawing.

He gets frustrated that I won't look at him and he gently tilts my chin so we're staring into each others eyes. I'm surprised that his face isn't filled as much with disappointment as sympathy and sadness.

"I can't let you go back there, I can't see you get hurt like that again, love. You need to tell someone or I will," he says, looking more serious than I have ever seen him.

"Please! Please don't! He'll think I told on him and be even worse to me. You can't, please understand that. This is my problem not yours, I- I- I can handle it," I beg him.

"Times up class. Once you post your sketch on the board you can head to lunch," our teacher, Ms. Martinson tells the class.

When Newt puts his drawing up I'm shocked.

"You drew me?" I ask him quietly. It's a picture of today while I was drawing, but it almost doesn't seem like me. Newt turned me into a completely different person, she looks so confident and beautiful. "I look so different."

"No, you look beautiful. I drew you exactly how you look."

"Well, thank you."

"If you insist on going again at least let me come with you," he asks, abruptly changing the subject.

"That's sweet but this isn't your—"

Newt puts a finger on my lips, stopping me mid-sentence. He takes my face in his hands and looks at me with his big brown eyes. "I'm not taking no for an answer love." He takes my hand and we start towards the lunchroom.