chapter 1; train rides and temper tantrums

Before I begin, just a quick little note to say that because I have the weirdest music taste in the world and Draco will be adopting this music taste in this fic, I will be linking a strange song mashup with each chapter. This chapter's strange song mashup is Thomas the Tank Engine and I Write Sins not Tragedies. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry's POV

Peaceful. The only way to describe it. There's something about having a baby bouncing up and down on your knee along to the rhythmic clackity-clack of the old steam train that is the Hogwarts Express and your best female friend sat in the seat just opposite you with a muggle book in her hands that can only be described as peaceful.
I look down at my one year old godson and smile, knowing that the peace will not last for much longer.

Hogwarts has been rebuilt and Hermione and I (along with some other people in our year) are going back to complete our last year of school. Ron decided not to come, he wanted to become an auror so much that he just went ahead and did it. This year, it's just Hermione, me and Teddy.
Andromeda, Teddy's grandmother, was diagnosed with a rare magical illness and was admitted to St. Mungo's. Having no other option, she asked me to look after Teddy. Not realising how long she would be in hospital for, I have ended up having to take Teddy to school with me (after some begging from myself and begrudged agreement from Professor McGonagall).

As Teddy snuggles into me, his soft blue hair turns to a dark black to copy my own (he's a metamorphmagus, meaning he is able to change his appearance at will). "Hawwy." He murmurs into my chest.
Peaceful.
Then-
"GET AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK!"
The three of us look towards the door.
"What was that?" Hermione asks to nobody in particular.
"No idea. Possibly Ginny's reenacting her reaction to me coming out."
Hermione smiles. "Yeah, sorry about that."
"It's fine, you can't control how she reacts to things. No one can, she's Ginny!" I smile back.
"You're right. I guess I can sort of see where she's coming from. Ginny loves you and you broke her heart."
"Well I'm sorry I like guys instead of girls! I just can't wait to get Ron's response to this. No doubt he'll send me a letter."
Hermione gives me a reassuring pat on the leg. "Ron will most likely be confused at first but he'll get over it and be fine." She then returns to her book.
Peace returns.

Then-
"Potter, what are you doing with my cousin?"
I look up to see Draco Malfoy. He is standing in the doorway to our compartment, holding either side of the doorframe to keep his balance. He looks different. Strangely different.
He has visibly less product in his hair that that of a year ago. He is taller and broader, too. The muggle clothes he wears suit him; black converse, dark skinny jeans and a green hoodie, zipped up. He has headphones in, which is considerably strange since the Malfoy I know hates all things muggle related.
He looks...good.

"Potter!"
"Huh?" I spent so long taking in his new appearance that I completely forgot what he said.
"What are you doing with my cousin?" His voice is deeper than I remember but still extremely articulate.
"Your cousin?" I ask, confused.
"Yes, my cousin. Teddy."
At hearing his name, Teddy looks up and begins making grabby hands at Malfoy. "Dway!" He says.
"Hey, Ted. How ya doin'?" The blonde haired boy walk into the compartment, past Hermione (causing her to look up from her book momentarily), and sits down opposite me. Leaving me bewildered, he takes Teddy (who is now silvery-blonde) from my lap and holds him in his own.
"How come you're here then?" He asks Teddy and of course I answer for him (he's only a year old and can only say simple words).
"Andromeda's in St. Mungo's. She was diagnosed with a rare magical illness and they didn't expect her to be in this long so she asked me to look after Ted."
"Why you and not me? He's my cousin!"
"He's my godson!"
"I'm related to him!"
"Since when have you known how to look after a baby, Malfoy?"
"I could ask you the same thing, Potter!"
"Will you both shut up please?! I'm trying to read and your temper tantrums are not helping."
"We are not having temper tantrums!" Malfoy and I say in unison.
"Malfoy, go back to your own compartment and accept that Harry is responsible for Teddy." Hermione sighs.
Malfoy's expression turns from angry to sheepish. "The thing is, I can't go back to my compartment. My so-called 'friends' hate me."
I can't help but ask, "Why?"
His grey-blue eyes meet mine. "It's no longer exactly a secret that I like muggle things-music specifically. I mean, I am currently listening to Panic! At The Disco and wearing a Beatles shirt." He unzips his hoodie to reveal a shirt with the famous band logo on it. "They don't exactly approve of that. In addition, I'm not exactly what most people would consider normal when it comes to the whole 'love thing' so that's made them all hate me even more. Basically I'm now a friendless homosexual that wears eyeliner and has a strange obsession with muggle music."

Draco's POV

Potter stands up at that. "What?"
"What what?" I ask, amused at his shock and stupidity.
"You're...wait, what?" His mouth opens and closes comically, reminding me of a goldfish.
"Harry, sit down." Granger says. "Why does it matter if Malfoy's gay? Admittedly I didn't expect that in the slightest but he seems to have really changed for the better."
Potter sits down and takes Teddy from me. "Is something wrong with me being gay?" I ask.
"No." I lock eyes with the bushy haired girl. "Harry is too so I really don't know why he's reacting like this."
I look at the slim boy, shocked.
"Hermione!"
"What? Everyone's bound to find out eventually seeing as Ginny won't stop going on about it."
"That doesn't mean that you have to tell everyone now!" His emerald eyes are wide as he runs his fingers through his raven hair in an anxious manner.
I laugh. "Honestly Potter, I'm flattered, but I doubt I really class as 'everyone.' Why did you react like that to me anyway? Does someone have a crush?" I tease.
He goes red. "No, shut up! It's just surprising. You know, considering your background and all. How many gay death eaters are there, really?"
I think for a second before answering. "I think around six but I don't know the exact number. It may even surprise you to know that Voldemort himself was a bit partial to the male gender."
"Really?"
"No, not really! I'm the only one, as far as I know. And I'm not a death eater anymore anyway. It was my own choice and I was stupid but the war is over now. You think I asked to go through all that pain? Fuck, no! I can't kill but was forced to sit there and watch as my teachers and fellow students got murdered by people who I hated just as much as you. War makes monsters of men and I'm ashamed to say that it did to me what it did to most...Music drowns out the screaming that I can still sometimes hear if my emotions go haywire and the lyrics help me from going mad...If my mother found out that I am what I am then she'd kill me. My father's in Askaban and I hope he rots to death in there. I hate his guts...I don't know why I'm telling you this but it helps to get it off my chest." I stand. "I'll be going now."
I leave the compartment before they can say another word and before the emotions get too strong and I begin to hear the screaming again.