Chapitre Quinze

Johanna found herself in front of hundreds of people, wet from head to toe, her dress slightly ripped. She was still holding her purse. Arturo was staring at her with his jaw dropped, and so was everyone else.

The story on how she got there is something she promised herself she would drown with a lot of scotch and chocolate.

As it might be obvious, Johanna got out of the plane.

But it was not an easy task. In fact, she would probably have some trouble with the law at some point.

Johanna quickly realised it would take more than convincing to be able to leave. So, she put her hand on her chest and started breathing hard.

“Please… Let me out…” She said on her best suffocated voice. “I have this uh… I have a breathing-heart condition…”

The girl hesitated.

“I… panic attack…” She added, going down her knees. “I need to… leave… It’s suffocating here…”

Johanna discreetly kicked Amber.

“Oh yes… Uh… She is a sick woman…” Johanna had to control herself to not roll her eyes; Amber was terrible at lying.

“Please…” Johanna said, widening her eyes. “I need to leave this plane…”

The poor flight assistant was confused and scared.

“Miss, I will talk to the Captain, please give me a minute!” She said before running to the captain’s cabin.

What the hell are you doing, you freak?!” Amber hissed.

“Going after the man I love, that’s what I’m doing and nothing will stop me.”  Johanna said between her teeth and she kept twitching herself on the corridor, attracting curious looks from the other passengers.

“You’re crazy and I will deny knowing you.”

“Play along and if things go right I will give you a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo of my collection.”

Amber went quiet for a minute.

“That cute pink one with crystals on the heels?”

Johanna frowned. “Fine, consider it yours.”

Amber looked down. “Please, someone help my friend!” she screamed in an almost perfect tone of real despair. “She is dying!”

“Not so much!” Johanna hissed.

The flight attendant came back with the plane’s captain, both looking worried.

“Madam, we will open the airplane’s door as soon as the ambulance arrives.”

“Ambulance?” Amber asked.

“We have asked for the airport’s ambulance to drive to the plane’s location. She will be taken care of.”

SHIT!” Johanna thought. It was too late to stop the acting; she needed to get off the plane.

Amber seemed to have lost the confidence in her acting after knowing they would have to face the doctors.

“Oh… That’s great…”

The doors were opened, and two paramedics entered the airplane. Johanna had no choice but to keep her acting. They carried her out the airplane, with Amber genuinely worried by her side, though it had nothing to do with Johanna’s health.

Johanna was taken to the emergency room on the way, she cleverly softened the “symptoms”, so by the time they reached there, her acting had already ended.

“Miss Seymour, what happened?” the doctor asked.

“She had a… panic attack on the plane.”

The man frowned. “Panic attack? You look alright now…”

“Ahn… I have this claustrophobia… Yeah, and when it comes I panic… I reeeally had to leave the plane. But I’m fine now, I suppose I can go.”

The doctor raised an eyebrow. “Panic and claustrophobia? Then I suggest you stay here for a while and you should also do some exams, I should check your blood pressure and…”

“I’m sorry, I can’t.” She stood up and put on her shoes. “I need to ah… I must get going…”

“Miss Seymour…”

“Thank you very much, you’re a great doctor!” Amber added before they rushed  out of the room.

Johanna checked her watch. “Alright, it’s 2PM. We can get a plane to Rome and be there before night!”

“I can’t believe we are doing it!”

“Alright, look.” She pointed at the flight information board. “There is a flight to Rome at 3:30PM and another one at 4PM. I doubt they are both full. We need to get tickets in one of them.”

“You pay for my ticket, then.” Amber said angrily.

“And I need clothes.” Johanna pretended she didn’t hear her friend. “My bags… Damn, there’s no time to ask for them and I don’t want to answer to any questions. Let’s go to Duty Free and buy me a dress.”

“A… what the hell?!”

“I am going to meet the love of my life. Do you expect me to go like this? Duty Free, and turn on your cell phone and try to find out the address of Giuseppe Ferrero online.”

“Johanna, after it’s all done, I’m so going to kill you…”

She smiled. “Don’t lie. Isn’t it the most exciting thing you’ve ever done in your life?”