Chapitre Cinq

“Le Magnifique” lived up to its name.

Never had Johanna seen such an elegant, extravagant and wonderful night club. As soon as they arrived, they found a saloon and both sat on a rich and inviting black leather sofa. Contrasting to it, the elaborate décor was of deep velvets and antique touches that combined with the dark light created a chic and sexy atmosphere.

“Now, that’s what I’m talking about…” Amber said, excited. They both had gone shopping for night dresses, and felt really good about themselves. Amber was wearing a brand new Chanel black tube with a big pearls necklace. She always looked good, no matter what she wore, in Johanna’s opinion. Maybe because, unlike her, Amber was not addicted to chocolate and ice cream and was able to maintain the good shape. Johanna was aware she could be better; it took longer for her to find a fitting dress, finally opting for a dark green Armani that matched with her eyes, and she let her hair down, wavy on the edges. She looked around, observing the people. They all seemed to be either fashionistas, models or foreigners.

“Where can I get a drink?”

“Already?” Amber laughed.

“You know how I am. If I don’t get some now, I won’t even be able to talk to men.” Johanna stood up. “Come on. Bar must be nearby.”

After a few cocktails, Johanna and Amber were already on the dance floor. A few times Johanna looked around to check if Arturo was behind the DJ booth, but no success. It was a surprise to her how disappointing this fact was. She was indeed looking forward to see him that night.

At around midnight, the song stopped, and they all looked at the DJ booth. A man took a microphone and announced something in French that neither Amber nor Johanna could understand, but taking by the crowd’s reaction, it was the night’s big attraction. Excitedly they tried to see better among the smoke, dimming light and colored flashes.

It was not exactly a surprise for Johanna to see Arturo walking in, being enthusiastically greeted by everyone. But the fact he was wearing a tight white shirt, pronouncing his perfectly shaped body, and that he was smiling widely at everyone made Johanna feel a familiar warmth down her belly that she knew it had nothing to do with chocolate effects.

“Arturo Ferrero!” the man shouted.

“Ferrero!” Amber whispered maliciously in Johanna’s ear. “He looks as delicious as the chocolate at any rate…”

Arturo started his work, and people went mad. He was indeed a very skilled DJ. In a few minutes he got the whole room dancing. Amber knew her friend was fascinated by the talented man; it was written all over her face.

“Go talk to him, woman!” she elbowed her.

“Now? I can’t! he is working!”

“Drop by, wave and stick around. I’ll go with you. God, Jo, I might have to undress you and put you in his bed as well.”

“Oh, ease down, lady, we barely know each other!”

“And even so I bet he gets your juices flowing. Now, come with me.”

Amber grabbed Johanna by her hand and took her to a place nearer the DJ booth, where they could be seen.

“Arturo!” she called the  loudest she could, waving.

“Oh, how discrete!”

But it worked. Arturo looked at their direction and smiled when he they saw them,  waving back. Johanna felt his eyes on her, and maybe because of the cocktails, she winked back at him.

“Oh, my, he is hot!” Johanna said.

It was almost the end of the song, and Arturo lowered it a bit, taking the microphone.

Bonsoir!” He said. “Good evening, everyone! I want to take a moment and let you all know we have two lovely English girls here tonight, and they are rocking it!” He waved at Amber and Johanna. “The next song, people, is for them.” He looked directly at Johanna. “I hope the hint is given.”

Rihanna’s “We Found Love” started playing, and Johanna felt the air leaving her lungs. “I hope the hint was given.” What did it mean? Could it possible mean something more?

“Oh. My God.” Amber said. “He TOTALLY dedicated it to you!”

“You think so too?!”

“It’s so obvious! Jo, go there. Now. Talk to him!”

Yellow diamonds in the light, and we’re standing side by side...

“Hey…” She said, as she reached the front of the DJ booth.

“Johanna” Arturo smiled. “Jump in. Don’t be standing there, come here.”

She didn’t wait for a second invitation. He looked even more handsome now that she was standing so close to him.

As your shadow crosses mine, what it takes to come alive”

“Are you enjoying it?” He asked.

“Very much so! Thank you for inviting us.”

“I’m happy to see you here.”

“We found love in a hopeless place… We found love in a hopeless place”

Arturo put his arm around Johanna’s waist, all of a sudden. At his touch, she felt her body jolting. He seemed to have not noticed that, though. Being that close to him made her realise how good he smelled and how the skin of his neck was tempting.

“Listen, Johanna.” He said. “Tonight it’s really crowded and impossible to talk. But I’d really like to go out for a coffee or something, if that’s okay with you.”

“Are you asking me out?” Johanna asked.

He giggled. “You can say that.”

The butterflies in her stomach that had been killed by food and wine finally showed signs of life. She smiled at him, accepting his invitation.

“Turn away cause I need you more… Feel the heartbeat in my mind…”

“May I have your phone number?” He asked, handing her a pen.

Johanna took it and wrote her number on his arm. “I will be waiting.”